Adding remote control volume to old amplifier.

In summary, the person found a site through a Google search and is wondering if it's possible to remotely control the volume on their old amplifier. They mention the option of emulating what Audio Research does for their expensive remote control, using a small DC motor and a circuit with a remote and sensor. They suggest using an h-bridge circuit to drive the motor forward and backward, and mention the possibility of programming a PIC microcontroller for a more advanced version. They also mention the potential for a steep learning curve and the option of purchasing a used receiver instead.
staylong
Found the site doing a Google search. Just need to know if this is possible.

I have an old amplifier that does not have any remote control. I wondered if it would be possible to do something that will alow me to at least control the volume remotely.

Any ideas.

Thanx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This would be a project so be prepared to learn a lot or find easier ways to do things.

Easiest way would be to emulate what even Audio Research does for their $800 remote control option on their preamp. Attach a small DC motor to the volume control with a small belt (or an o-ring) and make the small DC motor turn the control like your hand would. You could get the motor from a small toy of some type. You might need to gear it down some (more pulley's and o-rings) so it spins slower, but easier. Step 1 done.

Then buy something simple like this IC and remote and sensor:
http://www.rentron.com/remote_control/IR-D14.htm

That's a little more than $25 and for the conveinence and all-in-one-place shopping a good price. Now wire up the circuit and you can press buttons on the remote and make LEDs light up. Step 2 done.

Now you need to drive the motor forward and backward. Search google and learn how an h-bridge circuit works. Here's the first link I found, seems pretty good:
http://www.robotroom.com/HBridge.html

And once you get that done, you're remote controlling. You might spend half as much a picking up a used receiver on ebay but what fun is that and you wouldn't learn as much doing it. :smile:

Then get fancy and program a PIC microcontroller to do everything for version 2. :biggrin:

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, it is possible to add remote control volume to an old amplifier. There are a few different options you can explore, depending on your specific amplifier model and budget. One option is to purchase a universal remote control that can be programmed to work with your amplifier. Another option is to purchase a separate remote control volume unit that can be connected to your amplifier. You can also look into getting your amplifier professionally modified to include remote control capabilities. It's always a good idea to do some research and consult with a professional before making any modifications to your equipment. Good luck!

1. How can I add remote control volume to my old amplifier?

Adding remote control volume to an old amplifier is possible, but it requires some technical knowledge and equipment. You will need to purchase a remote control volume kit, which typically includes a remote control, receiver, and cables. You will also need to have basic soldering skills and be comfortable working with electronics. Consult the instructions provided with the kit and follow them carefully to install the remote control volume on your amplifier.

2. Will adding remote control volume affect the sound quality of my amplifier?

In most cases, adding remote control volume to your old amplifier will not have a significant impact on sound quality. However, it is important to choose a high-quality remote control volume kit and follow the installation instructions carefully to ensure proper functioning. If you notice any changes in sound quality, check your connections and make sure all components are working correctly.

3. Can I add remote control volume to any amplifier?

No, not all amplifiers are compatible with remote control volume kits. It is important to research and choose a remote control volume kit that is specifically designed for your amplifier model. If you are unsure, consult with an electronics expert or the manufacturer of your amplifier for compatibility information.

4. Will adding remote control volume void my amplifier's warranty?

It is possible that adding remote control volume to your old amplifier may void the warranty. It is important to check your warranty terms and conditions before making any modifications. If you are concerned about voiding the warranty, consider consulting with the manufacturer or an electronics expert for advice on the best course of action.

5. Are there any alternatives to adding remote control volume to my old amplifier?

If you are not comfortable with electronics or do not want to risk voiding your warranty, there are alternative options for controlling the volume on your amplifier. You can purchase a separate remote control volume unit that connects to your amplifier's existing volume knob. Another option is to use a universal remote control that is programmed to work with your amplifier. Both of these options may require some additional setup and programming, but they do not involve any modifications to your amplifier.