What are the pros and cons of using IP cameras for home security?

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cameras
In summary, the DLink camera system is reasonably priced, easy to set up, and has a good range of features.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There have been two break-ins in our neighborhood in the past two months which got me to thinking about security cameras. This is my first day researching security camera installations. I didn't know anything about IP cameras before today and didn't even know that they existed (I didn't realize the http://blog.dlink.com/connect/hello-world/#more-1" ). I've been reading some interesting information about setup and remote monitoring that sounds like I could get something basic working for a few hundred dollars. But, I would like to check with others who may have done this before I purchase anything.

I am looking to set up a system that I can monitor remotely and receive alerts. So far, I have reviewed a DLink system that has something called D-ViewCam management software. From what is described on their site, it is more than I had hoped for as far as cost, ease of setup, future expansion, and remote monitoring capabilities including alerts, etc. I also like the fact that it doesn't need to run on a computer at home - the cameras just an internet connection.

For now, I'm mainly interested in the pros and cons of what I've found. Does the system work as advertised? Is it too propriatory or can third-party software work with any IP camera? What other considerations need to be taken into account?

I would also be interested to know if there are other manufacturers in a similar price range that might have better quality while still maintaining the features that the DLink systems have. Or, is DLink a pretty good solution? I'm looking to keep costs to a bare minimum so it isn't going to be helpful to tell me about how I can spend $500+ on a system.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
If you know electronics, I would get a Arduino controller and build my own security webcam. You will probably get the most versatility from something that you built yourself. This is assuming you have a good chunk of spare time.

PS: are you a college student? I've seen some of your posts and you seem quite interesting. Nice avatar btw.

I second the building your own notion - ever heard of 101 spy gagets for the evil genius? There are some really good ones in there that I've seen, but you could just as easily have a look about on the web.

haxtor21 said:
If you know electronics, I would get a Arduino controller and build my own security webcam. You will probably get the most versatility from something that you built yourself. This is assuming you have a good chunk of spare time.

PS: are you a college student? I've seen some of your posts and you seem quite interesting. Nice avatar btw.

Owen- said:
I second the building your own notion - ever heard of 101 spy gagets for the evil genius? There are some really good ones in there that I've seen, but you could just as easily have a look about on the web.

Thanks Haxtor and Owen. I don't really have the time to assemble my own camera system. I have heard of the 101 book some time ago but, I never get past reading those types of books. BTW, I am far from being a college student. :tongue:

1. What is an IP camera?

An IP camera, also known as a network camera, is a type of digital video camera that transmits data over a network or internet connection. Unlike traditional analog cameras, IP cameras can be accessed and controlled remotely, making them popular for surveillance and security purposes.

2. How do IP cameras work?

IP cameras work by capturing video footage and converting it into digital data. This data is then compressed and transmitted over a network or internet connection to a central recording device, such as a network video recorder (NVR). The NVR then stores and manages the video footage, which can be accessed remotely through a computer, smartphone, or other device.

3. What are the benefits of using IP cameras?

There are several benefits to using IP cameras, including:

• High-quality video footage: IP cameras typically have higher resolution and better image quality compared to analog cameras.
  • Remote access: IP cameras can be accessed and controlled remotely, allowing for real-time monitoring and management.
  • Easy installation: IP cameras can be set up using a single network cable, making installation easier and more cost-effective.
  • Scalability: IP cameras can easily be added or removed from a network, making it easy to expand or adjust a surveillance system.

4. Are there different types of IP cameras?

Yes, there are different types of IP cameras, including:

• Fixed vs. PTZ: Fixed IP cameras have a stationary field of view, while PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) cameras can be remotely controlled to move and zoom in on specific areas.
  • Wired vs. wireless: IP cameras can be connected to a network via a wired Ethernet cable or through a wireless connection.
  • Indoor vs. outdoor: Some IP cameras are designed specifically for indoor use, while others are weatherproof and suitable for outdoor installation.
  • Specialized features: There are also specialized IP cameras with features such as night vision, thermal imaging, and facial recognition.

5. Is there a difference between IP cameras and webcams?

Yes, there is a difference between IP cameras and webcams. While both can capture video footage and transmit it over a network, webcams are typically used for video conferencing or personal use, while IP cameras are designed for surveillance and security purposes. IP cameras also tend to have more advanced features and higher quality video compared to webcams.