Solving Fortran Input File Problem - B

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with moving key parameters from the code into an external input file. The challenge is that some variables, like arrays, cannot be defined until those parameters are known. The suggested solution is to use a function like "open" before the array declarations, but the program structure does not allow for this. The requester is looking for a solution to this issue.
Nrets
Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone could help me with a simple problem.

I want to remove key parameters from the "type declaration/parameter" portion of my code and into an external input file for easy access. The problem is, many of my variables (such as arrays) can't be defined until these key parameters are known. However, the program structure disallows a function like "open" in or before the array declarations. In other words, I can only open an input file after I have defined all my global variables. But I can't define all my global variables without opening the input file.

There has to be a solution, yes? Any help would be appreciated.

- B

Technology news on Phys.org
Sorry, I did not understand how you could not simply put some code like

Code:
Open (Unit=1, File='File.dat')
Read(1,*)var1
Read(1,*)var2
Read(1,*)varn
Close (Unit=1)

Mainly because you already use some Write\Reads, if I'm guessing right. Maybe some allocatable array? Could you show this bit of code?

1. What is the purpose of a Fortran input file?

A Fortran input file is used to provide data or parameters to a Fortran program, allowing it to perform calculations and operations. It serves as a way to input external information into the program, rather than having to hard code the data directly into the code itself.

2. How do I create a Fortran input file?

To create a Fortran input file, you can use a text editor such as Notepad or a specialized code editor. The file should have a .txt extension and should contain the necessary data or parameters in a specific format that is compatible with Fortran.

3. How do I read an input file in Fortran?

To read an input file in Fortran, you will need to use the READ statement in your code. This statement will specify the file name and the variables that will store the data from the input file. You will also need to open the file using the OPEN statement before reading from it.

4. What is the most common error when solving Fortran input file problems?

The most common error when solving Fortran input file problems is not properly formatting the data in the input file. The data must be in the correct format and match the type of variables specified in the READ statement. Additionally, errors can occur if the file is not opened or closed correctly, or if the file cannot be found in the specified location.

5. How can I troubleshoot Fortran input file problems?

If you are experiencing issues with your Fortran input file, you can try the following troubleshooting steps:1. Check the formatting of the input file to make sure it matches the data types specified in the READ statement.2. Make sure the file is being opened and closed correctly in your code.3. Double check the file name and location to ensure it is being accessed correctly.4. Use print statements in your code to check the values of variables after reading from the input file.5. Refer to the Fortran documentation or seek help from a more experienced programmer if you are still unable to solve the problem.