Can a State Trooper Transition into a Career in Mechanical Engineering?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Trooper332
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: I should I re-think my career path?It sounds like you have a lot of passion for engineering and you want to pursue it. However, you have admitted that you are afraid of math. This is a big obstacle. It is difficult to be successful in an engineering field if you cannot understand the mathematical principles behind your work.It is important to find a way to overcome your fear of math. There are a number of resources available to help you. One option is to seek out online or on-campus courses that will help you develop the math skills that you need. Another option is to become an expert witness. As an expert witness, you would be required to have a professional engineering credential, but this would
Trooper332
I am currently a State Trooper that is working at becoming a crash reconstructionist (I love the technical side to this stuff!). I want to, in the next 10 years, retire from the State Patrol and pursue a career in mechanical engineering. I am only 28 years old now but I am deathly afraid of the math that is required. I made it to Algebra 2 and that was the extent of my math. I never really applied myself but I do find math somewhat easy. I am looking at online/on-campus mechanical engineering program at one of the local colleges and I look at Calculus 3 and wonder how in the world I can prepare for something like that before I go. I currently have my pilots license and feel ok in the physics but struggle with chemistry. I want the engineering background to either become an expert witness or to go to work in the automotive safety industry.

Am I embarking on a rewarding journey or am I should I re-think my career path?

Thanks in advance and please be blunt with me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can help you on one of your questions: to prepare for Calculus 3 you must learn Calculus 1 and 2 ;)

The math really isn't that difficult, it's the application that takes a while to get the hang of.

Trooper332 said:
I currently have my pilots license and feel ok in the physics but struggle with chemistry. I want the engineering background to either become an expert witness or to go to work in the automotive safety industry.

Firstly, it sounds like you're strongly driven to a specific goal. This weighs heavily in your favor. I'm sure we've all noticed that its easier to do things we want to do than things we don't.

Secondly, you probably shouldn't look at the finish-line of the marathon before you take the first few steps. Its not encouraging its discouraging.

Lastly, engineering is a very competitive field. Engineering is fundamentally the application of physical theory (chemistry, physics, etc.) to design theory. You will meet people who have specific names for all the different types of Lego pieces, people who know which proteins break down in a medium rare steak that don't break down in a rare steak, and people who get an almost perverse pleasure from understanding the specifics of their daily lives.

The reason that these people (sorry for the stereotype... I'm an engineer, too folks!) gravitate towards the field is because of the nature of it. Even once you have the full toolbox of math, science, and design theory you will still have to find ways to implement those tools and engineer something...

...and each time you do this, the math gets more intuitive.

Remember the first time someone gave you the keys to a car? You were overwhelmed by the new tools at your disposal. But as you integrated each one into your driving their use became intuitive; you no longer have to think about when to signal, how hard to press the gas pedal, or how to feather a clutch.

Likewise, someone will hand you the keys to advanced mathematics and science. You'll struggle the first few times, hit the brakes at the wrong moments, stop short, forget to signal when your lane ends, do 45 in a 35, and you might even be involved in a tiny fender-bender. But when you're done, you're left with powerful new tools that you can call upon at anytime to help you solve problems.

Trooper332 said:
I want the engineering background to either become an expert witness or to go to work in the automotive safety industry.

In order to be an expert witness it is absolutely essential that you earn a PE credential. Make sure you take the FE [Fundamentals of Engineering] exam http://www.ncees.org/exams/fe_exam.php as a student, and then see what the requirements are for professional registration.

Trooper332 said:
I am currently a State Trooper that is working at becoming a crash reconstructionist (I love the technical side to this stuff!). I want to, in the next 10 years, retire from the State Patrol and pursue a career in mechanical engineering. I am only 28 years old now but I am deathly afraid of the math that is required. I made it to Algebra 2 and that was the extent of my math. I never really applied myself but I do find math somewhat easy. I am looking at online/on-campus mechanical engineering program at one of the local colleges and I look at Calculus 3 and wonder how in the world I can prepare for something like that before I go. I currently have my pilots license and feel ok in the physics but struggle with chemistry. I want the engineering background to either become an expert witness or to go to work in the automotive safety industry.

Am I embarking on a rewarding journey or am I should I re-think my career path?

Thanks in advance and please be blunt with me!

There is no reason to expect that you should make the jump directly from algebra 2 to calculus 3! In fact, most engineering undergraduates don't start with calculus 3; many (maybe even the majority) take calculus 1 and 2 their first year.

You will certainly want to fill in the gaps between algebra 2 and calculus 1 before applying, though. Pretty much any community college should have course offerings that will bring you up to speed. Same with basic (more or less high school level, and a bit beyond) chemistry and physics. Typically you can just sign up for such classes without having to apply for any sort of degree program. Take these and do well in them and you should be no worse positioned than any other applicant to a four-year engineering program. Oh, and learn some computer programming before you start, if you haven't already.

What does an engineer do?

An engineer is a professional who uses scientific knowledge, mathematical skills, and creativity to design, develop, and maintain products, systems, and structures that solve real-world problems.

What skills are needed to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you need a strong foundation in math and science, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Good communication, teamwork, and project management skills are also important for success as an engineer.

What types of engineers are there?

There are many different types of engineers, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, aerospace, and computer engineers. Each type of engineer specializes in a specific area and uses their skills to design and create different products and systems.

What education is required to become an engineer?

Most engineers have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some may also have a master's or doctoral degree, depending on their specific area of expertise. It is important to have a strong academic background in math and science to pursue a career in engineering.

What are some common tasks of an engineer?

An engineer's day-to-day tasks may vary depending on their specific job and type of engineering, but some common tasks include designing and creating new products or systems, conducting research and experiments, analyzing data, and collaborating with other team members to solve complex problems.