Size vs. Age of the universe?

In summary, the observable universe is 46 billion light years away from where the light ray that started the observable universe was emitted. This is because the expansion of space doesn't abide by the laws of relativity, and so the light ray was able to travel a great deal further than it would have if the universe were more compact.
Algaib
If the universe is 13.7 billion years old, then how can the observable universe reach out 46 billion light years, given that nothing can travel faster than light? Is it to do with the expansion of space, which doesn't abide by relativity laws?

Space news on Phys.org
Nothing within space, when starting out below light speed, can reach light speed. However, space itself can expand faster than light.

In fact, basic cosmology shows the distance light could have traveled during the life of the universe is (flat geometery, no cosmological constant): r = 3c X age universe. This gives 41 light years (close to your number)

Last edited:
Algaib said:
If the universe is 13.7 billion years old, then how can the observable universe reach out 46 billion light years, given that nothing can travel faster than light? Is it to do with the expansion of space, which doesn't abide by relativity laws?
The expansion of space definitely obeys General Relativity. Basically, within General Relativity, relative velocities are only defined locally. That is, I can, within General Relativity, say precisely how fast a car or a beam of light is moving if it is passing right next to me. I cannot, however, say how fast that car is moving if it is very far away. This isn't because the car isn't moving, but instead because the velocity of that car depends entirely upon the numbers I use to describe the space-time between me and the car.

On Earth, for example, if I am standing still with respect to the Earth, and a car passes by me at 60mph, I can say definitively that my relative velocity with respect to that car is 60mph.

But imagine, now, that we are talking not about a car that is right next to me, but instead a car that is on the opposite side of the globe. Now things are no longer so easy: the car really isn't getting any closer or further away from me as it moves, so is it moving with respect to me at all? Or do I only count its motion along the surface of the Earth? It depends upon what you mean. General Relativity is sort of like this when we're talking about far-away galaxies: the curvature between us and the far-away galaxy makes the choice of velocity somewhat arbitrary.

And the fact that this choice is arbitrary has profound consequences. In particular, it means that the speed of light limitation that we see in Special Relativity only applies locally in General Relativity. That is, General Relativity says that no object can ever outrun a ray of light. It cannot, however, make any statement about what the velocity of a far away object will or will not be, because General Relativity says that the velocity of a far-away object is up to our own whims.

Distances are similarly arbitrary. They have to be, in fact, because if there was a definitive way to define distances, then we could use the change in distance over time to define a definitive velocity. But there isn't.

A popular distance measure, however, is the "comoving radial distance". This distance represents the amount of time it would take to bounce light rays between objects if we froze the expansion. Now, at the time the light was emitted from the surface of last scattering (the edge of the observable universe), that surface was, by this measure of distance, only 42 million light years away.

The problem is that at that time, the rate of expansion was so fast that for every meter of space that light ray traveled, the remaining distance was even larger due to the expansion. This ray of light was always traveling at the speed of light as measured by the matter it was passing, but it was still losing ground because our universe was expanding so rapidly.

As time progressed, this rate of expansion slowed. Eventually it slowed so much that the light ray stopped losing ground. However, it had already passed a great deal of distance, so that the stuff that emitted it was left behind long ago. That stuff is, today, sitting at some 46 billion light years away as measured by the comoving distance. But the light ray didn't traverse all that space, because it only started out a mere 42 million light years. Instead, it traversed precisely 13.7 billion light years of space (because that's how long it was traveling, and light rays travel at the speed of light).

1. What is the current estimated age of the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is 13.8 billion years old, based on data from the Planck satellite mission.

2. How does the size of the universe change over time?

The size of the universe is constantly expanding, meaning that it is getting bigger and bigger over time. This is due to the phenomenon known as "cosmic inflation," which occurred shortly after the Big Bang and continues to this day.

3. Can we measure the size of the universe?

Yes, scientists use various methods to measure the size of the universe, such as triangulation and the use of redshift in measuring the distance of objects. However, since the universe is constantly expanding, its size is always changing and can only be measured at a specific point in time.

4. How does the age of the universe affect the formation of galaxies and stars?

The age of the universe has a direct impact on the formation of galaxies and stars. In the early universe, there were only simple elements such as hydrogen and helium. As the universe aged, these elements formed into more complex elements, allowing for the formation of stars and galaxies. The older the universe, the more complex and diverse the structures within it become.

5. Is the size of the universe infinite?

The size of the observable universe is not infinite, but it is constantly expanding. However, the overall size of the entire universe is still unknown and could potentially be infinite. This is a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists.