Complex anaylsis question involving liouville's theorem

In summary, we need to show that both conditions are bounded in order to apply Liouville's theorem and prove that f is constant. By setting a new function g(z) = 1/f(z) and using Cauchy's inequality, we can show that g(z) is constant, and therefore f(z) must also be constant.
harmonie_Best

Homework Statement

Show that if f is an entire function which satisfies (a) I am f(z) > - 10 or (b) |f(z)| >= 5, then f is constant.

Homework Equations

liouville's theorem, Cauchy's inequality(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Want to show that both are bounded as it will satisfy liouville's theorem and prove they are constant,

So there exists an M [tex]\in[/tex] R s.t. |f(z)| <= M, for all z [tex]\in[/tex] f(z)

Just get really confused now, can't see how to get it so that the sign is the other way round. Do you take the negative of both to change direction of the sign =/

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the negative won't change the sign of the inequality. It's an absolute value. Set g(z)=1/f(z) and see what Liouville tells you about g(z).

Okay so can I say:

Set g(z) = 1/f(z) which is <= 1/5, therefore g(z) is bounded by 1/5, and by Cauchys integral theorem, g(z) is constant. As g(z) a function including f(z) we can conclude that f(z) is also constant?

harmonie_ post: 3171132 said:
Okay so can I say:

Set g(z) = 1/f(z) which is <= 1/5, therefore g(z) is bounded by 1/5, and by Cauchys integral theorem, g(z) is constant. As g(z) a function including f(z) we can conclude that f(z) is also constant?

You are leaving the absolute values out. |g(z)|<=1/5, right. So it's constant. And it's by Liouville's theorem, not Cauchy's. If g(x) is constant then since f(z)=1/g(z), f(z) must be constant.

Last edited:
Ohhhh, I get it, thank you =) I need to pay more attention!x

1. What is Liouville's theorem in complex analysis?

Liouville's theorem states that any bounded entire function must be constant. In other words, if a function is entire (analytic in the entire complex plane) and is bounded, then it must be a constant function.

2. How is Liouville's theorem used in complex analysis?

Liouville's theorem is used to prove the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients has at least one root in the complex plane. It is also used to prove other important theorems in complex analysis, such as the maximum modulus principle.

3. What is an example of a bounded entire function?

A simple example of a bounded entire function is f(z) = ez. This function is entire and bounded since the absolute value of ez is always less than or equal to 1 for any complex number z.

4. Can Liouville's theorem be extended to multi-valued functions?

No, Liouville's theorem only applies to single-valued functions. Multi-valued functions, such as the complex logarithm, do not satisfy the conditions of boundedness and entireness required by Liouville's theorem.

5. Is Liouville's theorem an if and only if statement?

No, Liouville's theorem is not an if and only if statement. While the theorem states that any bounded entire function must be constant, it does not guarantee that a function is bounded and entire if it is constant.