Double Slit, Central Diffraction Maximum

In summary: What have you learned about the diffraction pattern of multiple slits?There are two patterns: one from the single-slit diffraction, the other from the interference between the rays traversing separate slits. The minima of the diffraction pattern are at sin(θ)=m λ/a where a is the slit width and m =±1, ±2,... You get the interference maxima from two slits d=340μm apart at sin(θ)=n λ/d.The first minima in the diffraction patter are at the angles where sin(θ-1)=- λ/a and sin(θ1)= λ/
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached for problem statement as well as my attempt

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to go from here. Can someone help me get started?

Attachments

• 2009Q16.JPG
    2009Q16.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump still looking for help

Here's my best attempt at reasoning things out.

I'm not getting the right answer, but it's a shot!

Attachments

• att!.jpg
    att!.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 404
What have you learned about the diffraction pattern of multiple slits?

There are two patterns: one from the single-slit diffraction, the other from the interference between the rays traversing separate slits. The minima of the diffraction pattern are at sin(θ)=m λ/a where a is the slit width and m =±1, ±2,... You get the interference maxima from two slits d=340μm apart at sin(θ)=n λ/d.

The first minima in the diffraction patter are at the angles where sin(θ-1)=- λ/a and sin(θ1)= λ/a. The "distance" between the interference maxima are λ/d. You see five bright lines in the range of the first diffraction maximum. What can be the ratio between a and d?

ehild

ehild said:
What have you learned about the diffraction pattern of multiple slits?

There are two patterns: one from the single-slit diffraction, the other from the interference between the rays traversing separate slits. The minima of the diffraction pattern are at sin(θ)=m λ/a where a is the slit width and m =±1, ±2,... You get the interference maxima from two slits d=340μm apart at sin(θ)=n λ/d.

The first minima in the diffraction patter are at the angles where sin(θ-1)=- λ/a and sin(θ1)= λ/a. The "distance" between the interference maxima are λ/d. You see five bright lines in the range of the first diffraction maximum. What can be the ratio between a and d?

ehild

Here's my attempt at the ratio between a and d. See figure

Am I doing this correctly?

Attachments

• ratioatt.jpg
    ratioatt.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 458
I am still stuck. Can please give me another nudge in the right direction, I haven't given up yet.

Read the text of the problem again. It is very difficult to read those very tiny letters but I see (with magnifying glass) something about five bright fringes. And sorry, I can not follow your handwriting. Please type in what you did.

ehild

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

What is the central diffraction maximum?

The central diffraction maximum is the bright spot that is observed at the center of the interference pattern in the double slit experiment. It is the result of constructive interference between the waves passing through the two slits.

What factors affect the central diffraction maximum?

The central diffraction maximum is affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the two slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. It is also affected by the size of the slits and the intensity of the light source.

Why is the central diffraction maximum important?

The central diffraction maximum is important because it provides evidence for the wave-like nature of light. It also helps to confirm the principles of diffraction and interference, which are fundamental concepts in the field of optics.

How is the central diffraction maximum used in real-world applications?

The central diffraction maximum is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in diffraction grating experiments to analyze the properties of light and in the production of holograms.