Find Electric Field vector from Equapotential lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a given point. The equations E=\frac{QK}{r^2} and V=-\frac{QK}{r} are mentioned as well as the attempt at a solution using derivatives and the dot product for vectors. The method of taking the average of two points on the potential graph is suggested as a way to improve the estimate for the E-field.
[V]

Homework Statement

30.P45.jpg

Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric field at point 1 in the figure.

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\frac{QK}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]V=-\frac{QK}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int E dr=-V[/tex]
When I take the derivative of both sides of this relation wrt to R, I get
[tex]E=\frac{-dv}{dr}[/tex]

So, now I just plug in two points, using point 1 as my final (energy flows from high potential to low potential:
[tex]E=-\frac{100-50}{0.01}=-5000 E/m[/tex], so it is pointing down. However, the answer appears to be 3750, pointing down.

Can someone explain what I did wrong? Please use calculus terminology if possible!

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually if you use the dot product for vectors:

[tex]dV=-\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r}[/tex]

If vector dr is in a direction perpendicular to vector E, what is the result for dV ?

That would be zero correct? I'm not sure how this answers my problem though. Any charge that moves around the equapotential line will have moved perpendicular to an E vector, therefore would have preformed zero work, and ΔV=0

But how would I go about figuring out the E field at any particular point. Is my formula and derivation correct? ∫Edr=-dv, E=-dv/dr ?

What am I missing?

[V];3198173 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int E dr=-V[/tex]
When I take the derivative of both sides of this relation wrt to R, I get
[tex]E=\frac{-dv}{dr}[/tex]

So, now I just plug in two points, using point 1 as my final (energy flows from high potential to low potential:
[tex]E=-\frac{100-50}{0.01}=-5000 E/m[/tex], so it is pointing down. However, the answer appears to be 3750, pointing down.
You could just as well use the points at 25V and 50V to come up with answer. However, it will be different than your calculation based on the 50V and 100V points. Try taking the average of the two results.

How would that work? This is not a uniform E field, I'm sure.

Up until point 1 it is uniform, then at 100v the slope (E) changes. How does taking the average of the two points give me the correct answer for point 1.

It worked, but can you please explain this in detail?

Thank you!

You're welcome :smile:

Getting the E-field in this way is just an estimate, it's not a very precise method.

If you want a better "picture" of the situation, make a graph of V as you go along the central vertical line (the line containing points 1 and 2). The graph will have a series of points. You can then try to connect the points with a smooth curve -- this is an approximation to the actual potential, so the slope of the curve is an approximation to the actual E-field.

SammyS said:
Actually if you use the dot product for vectors:

[tex]dV=-\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r}[/tex]

If vector dr is in a direction perpendicular to vector E, what is the result for dV ?

[V];3198603 said:
That would be zero correct? I'm not sure how this answers my problem though. Any charge that moves around the equipotential line will have moved perpendicular to an E vector, therefore would have preformed zero work, and ΔV=0

But how would I go about figuring out the E field at any particular point. Is my formula and derivation correct? ∫Edr=-dv, E=-dv/dr ?

What am I missing?

Yes, the answer is zero.

This does give that the direction of the E field is perpendicular to the equipoential lines.

If vector dr is in the same direction as vector E, then dV is negative. That gives the in/out information.

Redbelly98 has you on the road to getting a good estimate for the magnitude.

What is an electric field vector?

An electric field vector is a mathematical representation of the direction and strength of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the field and its length indicates the strength of the field.

How do you find the electric field vector from equapotential lines?

To find the electric field vector from equapotential lines, you can use the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field strength, V is the potential difference between two points, and d is the distance between the two points. This equation can be applied to different points along the equapotential lines to determine the direction and strength of the electric field.

What are equapotential lines?

Equapotential lines are imaginary lines that connect points with the same electric potential. This means that the potential difference between any two points on the line is zero. These lines are useful in visualizing the electric field and determining the direction of the electric field vector.

Why is it important to find the electric field vector from equapotential lines?

It is important to find the electric field vector from equapotential lines because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of electric fields. By knowing the direction and strength of the electric field, we can determine how electric charges will move and interact with each other.

Can you determine the electric field vector at any point from equapotential lines?

No, it is not possible to determine the electric field vector at any point solely from the equapotential lines. Equapotential lines only show the direction of the electric field, not its magnitude. To fully determine the electric field vector, you also need information about the potential difference or the distance between two points.