Differential Equation, Frobenius method

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Frobenius method to find two linearly independent power series solutions for an ODE involving the indicial equation and the recursion formula. The solutions to the indicial equation differ by an integer, and to find the second solution, reduction of order can be used. Additional transition equations may also appear in some cases.
rchalker

Homework Statement

Find two linearly independent power series solutions for xy" - y' + xy = 0 using the Frobenius method.

Homework Equations

gif.latex?\sum_{n=0}^{\infty%20}c_{n}x^{n+r}.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

solving for the indicial roots I got:

gif.gif

-> r(r-2) = 0
r = 0, 2

for the recursion formula I got:

gif.gif

gif.gif

I'm not completely sure this is correct, but if it is, I don't know where to go from here. I have a 0 in the denominator for the first few solutions when r=0. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your textbook. Your solutions to the indicial equation differ by an integer. That case is similar to the situation in the "Euler-Cauchy" equation when you have a double root to the characteristice equation- you have to multiply by ln(x).

As HallsofIvy has pointed out, the two solutions to the indicial equation differ by an integer. This means that the only guaranteed solution is obtained by using the greater value of the two solutions - to get the other linearly independent solution to your homogeneous equation, you can use reduction of order; assume that the general solution looks like

[tex]y(x) = A(x) y_1(x),[/tex]​

where [tex]y_1(x)[/tex] is the solution you obtain from the greater value of the indicial equation. Differentiating this and plugging into your ODE will yield a first-order linear equation, after redefining a variable.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, trying it now but I have another question.

All of the examples have only
gif.gif
values when finding solutions, but mine have both
gif.gif
and
gif.gif
when r=2. Should this be happening? When I try to use it these solutions to find my second solution it seems to mess everything up.

This is what I got for my first solution-

%20c_{1}[x%20-%20\frac{1}{3\cdot%205}x^{3}%20+%20\frac{1}{3\cdot%205^{2}\cdot%207}x^{5}%20+%20...gif

Last edited:
For some Frobenius series expansions, in addition to the indicial equation, additional transition equations may appear that allow you to determine the [tex]c_i[/tex], where [tex]i[/tex] is some number in [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex]. In this example, you should have an additional transition equation to determine [tex]c_1[/tex], and the final Frobenius series is left as a function of [tex]c_0[/tex]. What you have to do is write out the the first two terms of the Frobenius expansion explicitly and then group the remaining terms into one single infinite series (by doing some index manipulation acrobatics). The first two terms give, respectively, the indicial equation (which you apparently already have) and the equation to determine [tex]c_1[/tex]. Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck somewhere. :)

I think I got it now, thanks :smile:

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to solve differential equations that cannot be solved by other methods, such as separation of variables or substitution. It involves finding a series solution in the form of a power series, and then determining the coefficients in the series.

2. When is the Frobenius method used?

The Frobenius method is typically used when the differential equation has a regular singularity or an irregular singularity at one of the endpoints. It is also used when the equation has a point that is not an ordinary point, such as a branch point or a pole.

3. What is a regular singularity?

A regular singularity is a point at which the differential equation can be written in a form that is analytic, meaning that it can be expressed as a power series. This allows the Frobenius method to be used to find a solution.

4. What is an irregular singularity?

An irregular singularity is a point at which the differential equation cannot be written in a form that is analytic. This means that the Frobenius method cannot be used to find a solution, and other methods must be used.

5. What are the limitations of the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is limited to solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also requires the differential equation to have a regular or irregular singularity at one of the endpoints. Additionally, the method may not always produce a solution, and sometimes additional techniques, such as asymptotic methods, must be used.