Exploring the Definition of Affine Hypersurfaces

• Thread starter Ms Mrmr
  • Start date
In summary, an affine hypersurface is a flat hypersurface defined by the set of zero points of a polynomial in algebraic geometry. It is a closed subset of codimension 1 in an affine space and can be generated by any polynomial, not just a linear one. Sometimes it is also referred to as an irreducible set. Hyperplanes, which are generated by linear polynomials, are a specific type of affine hypersurface.
Ms Mrmr
what is affine hypersurface :(

Hi all >>
:blushing:

please i want answer about defnition of affine hypersurface ??

thank u :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

If I'm not mistaken, then a hypersurface is simply the set of zero points of a polynomial. Thus if P is a polynomial, then the hypersurface defined by P is

[tex]\{(x_1,...,x_n)\in k^n~\vert~P(x_1,...,x_n)=0\}[/tex]

Is this what you meant??

An "affine" hypersurface is a flat hypersurface. In one-dimension, that is line, in two-dimensions, it is a plane, in higher dimensions, a hyper-plane. That means that the polynomial, P, that micromass refers to as defining a hypersurface is linear.

More context for the question would be nice.

micromass thank u but I want the geometry definitoin for affine hypersurface :smile:

HallsofIvy thank u , ur definition is good but pleas i want More detailed about it . :shy:

Hurkyl , sorry , i tierd to explanation my question but i am not speak good english :smile:

thank u all

In algebraic geometry an affine hypersurface is excactly what micromass said. There are no restrictions on the polynomial in this context, which means it doesn't need to be linear.

A geometric definition of a affine hypersurface in algebraic geometry could be "a closed subset of codimension 1 of an affine space". (an affine space is normally k^n, where k is algebraically closed field in the zariski-topology, or some subset of this if you want more generality) In other words it is a closed subset of an affine space with dimension one less than the affine space itself. Intuitively you can imagine a 2-dimensional surface (such as a plane, a sphere, a plane intersecting a sphere etc.. in euclidean 3-space). This means it is generated by a single polynomial. Sometimes a hypersurface refers to such an irreducible set (which is what I've seen, but I will not insist on this), which means that the generating polynomial needs to be irreducible.

Hypersurfaces generated by a linear polynomial are generally called hyperplanes (and specifically lines if the dimension is 1).

Last edited:

Jarle thank you very much :smile:

1. What is an affine hypersurface?

An affine hypersurface is a geometric object in mathematics that is defined by a polynomial equation in several variables. It is a generalization of a plane curve or a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What is the difference between an affine hypersurface and a projective hypersurface?

The main difference between an affine hypersurface and a projective hypersurface is the way they are defined. Affine hypersurfaces are defined in affine space, which is a Euclidean space with a fixed origin. Projective hypersurfaces are defined in projective space, which is an extension of affine space that includes points at infinity.

3. How are affine hypersurfaces used in real-world applications?

Affine hypersurfaces have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and economics. They are used to model complex systems, such as the behavior of particles in physics, or to analyze big data sets in computer science. They are also used in economic models to study the relationship between different variables.

4. Can affine hypersurfaces have more than one solution?

Yes, affine hypersurfaces can have multiple solutions, depending on the number of variables and the degree of the polynomial equation defining the hypersurface. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

5. What is the dimension of an affine hypersurface?

The dimension of an affine hypersurface is one less than the number of variables in the polynomial equation defining it. For example, a hypersurface defined by a polynomial equation in three variables has dimension 2.