Question about oscillating currents. (the sign of the phase constant)

In summary, in order to find the phase constant for a capacitor charging at time zero, you can use the equation q=Qcos(\omegat+ \vartheta) and solve for the angle. The sign of the phase constant can be determined by looking at the sign of the current, which should be positive for a charging capacitor. This may seem contradictory, but it is because the current is the rate of change of charge, so it is still positive when the charge is increasing.
LogicX

Homework Statement

This is more of a conceptual problem I'm having with in a problem. I'm trying to find the phase constant of the equation for a capacitor that is charging at time zero. I'm having trouble with figuring out what sign the phase constant should have.

Homework Equations

q=Qcos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+ [tex]\vartheta[/tex])

dq/dt=-[tex]\omega[/tex]Q sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I know the max charge on the capacitor, and I know q at time zero, so I solved for the angle. I just don't know how to determine it's sign (the answer is positive).

So here is one way of thinking about it:

dq/dt should be positive because the capacitor is charging. Therefore -[tex]\omega[/tex]Q sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) must be positive which only happens when I choose the negative angle. Voila, the angle is negative if it is charging.

BUT, I thought that if the capacitor was charging, the current should be decreasing? So how can dq/dt (which is the current) be positive if the capacitor is charging? Based on the two equations for energy U=q^2/2C and U=Li^2/2, if the charge increases the current must decrease to conserve energy.

I seem to be contradicting myself.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. The current is decreasing, but it is still positive for the capacitor to be charging.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current is just the rate of change of charge, so if charge is increasing, then the current must be positive.

1. What is an oscillating current?

An oscillating current is a type of alternating current in which the magnitude and direction of the electric current continually changes over time. This type of current is commonly used in electronic devices and power grids.

2. What is the phase constant in an oscillating current?

The phase constant in an oscillating current refers to the angle difference between the current and the voltage in an AC circuit. It determines the relationship between the current and voltage and can be either positive or negative.

3. How does the phase constant affect the current in an oscillating current?

The phase constant affects the current by determining its magnitude and direction at any given point in time. It also affects the power and efficiency of the circuit, as well as the overall behavior of the oscillating current.

4. Can the phase constant of an oscillating current be changed?

Yes, the phase constant of an oscillating current can be changed by altering the components of the circuit, such as the resistance, capacitance, and inductance. It can also be changed by adjusting the frequency or voltage of the current.

5. How is the phase constant represented in an oscillating current?

The phase constant is commonly represented by the Greek letter phi (φ) and is measured in degrees or radians. It can also be represented by a phasor diagram, which shows the relationship between the current and voltage in a circuit.