How do I efficiently support a 600ft long pipeline?

In summary, there is a 600 foot long asphalt pipeline supported by a 10 inch diameter pipe with 3 inch diameter attached pipe, wrapped in 2 inches of fiberglass insulation. It is recommended to sit 2 feet above ground and made of schedule 40 carbon steel. A pipe stress analysis is suggested for support, considering factors such as weight, wind, nozzle loads, and displacements. The "Standard Handbook of Engineering Calculations" by Hicks may be a helpful resource.
srw2104
Hello all,

There is a 600 foot long asphalt pipeline that spans over a very large field. This specific pipeline is 10 inches in diameter and has a 3in diameter pipe attached to it. In addition, this pipeline as a whole is wrapped in 2 inches of fiberglass insulation. I need to figure out an efficient way to support this pipeline. It is reccomended that the pipleline be sitting 2 feet above ground. Material of this pipeline is schedule 40 - Carbon steel. If anyone can help with this process it would be much appreciated. Implementation of guides, shoes, and/or stops is required. I am essentially trying to figure out what type of I beam to use and at what span. Any other advice is more than welcomed.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to what you have to say.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The best thing to do would be to perform a pipe stress analysis. There are commercial packages available like Caesar for this but they are expensive. You consider pipe weight, wind, nozzle loads, displacements, and so on.

You can do some stuff by hand. See "Standard Handbook of Engineering Calculations" by Hicks.

1. What is the purpose of pipeline support design?

The purpose of pipeline support design is to ensure the safe and efficient transportation of fluids or gases through a pipeline system. This includes determining the appropriate placement and type of supports to prevent sagging, buckling, or excessive stress on the pipeline.

2. What factors are considered when designing pipeline supports?

When designing pipeline supports, factors such as the type of material being transported, the terrain and environmental conditions, and the weight and pressure of the pipeline must be taken into account. Other factors may include seismic activity, temperature changes, and potential hazards such as landslides or construction near the pipeline.

3. How is the load on pipeline supports calculated?

The load on pipeline supports is calculated by considering the weight of the pipeline itself, the weight of the fluid or gas being transported, and any additional external forces such as wind or seismic activity. Engineers may also use computer modeling and simulations to determine the optimal design for pipeline supports.

4. What are the different types of pipeline supports?

There are several types of pipeline supports, including rigid supports such as concrete blocks or steel cradles, and flexible supports such as spring hangers or expansion joints. The type of support used will depend on the specific needs and conditions of the pipeline system.

5. How do pipeline supports impact the overall safety of a pipeline system?

Pipeline supports play a crucial role in maintaining the safety of a pipeline system. Properly designed and placed supports help prevent stress and strain on the pipeline, reducing the risk of leaks, ruptures, and other failures. They also allow for easier maintenance and repair of the pipeline, ensuring its longevity and safe operation.