Calculating Volume of Rotation with Shell Method for Region Underneath Graph

In summary, LCKurtz was trying to solve an equation for the volume of rotation around the x-axis for the region underneath the graph. He used the area method, but when he got to the height of the cyclinder he got an incorrect answer because he multiplied the equation incorrectly.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to calculate the volume of rotation about the x-axis for the region underneath the graph.

y=[itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]-2, 8[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]27

Homework Equations

I was taught that I would set up the integral by using the area which would look something like [itex]\int[/itex]2pi(r)(h).

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw that the maximum height was 27 and so to get the height of the cyclinder I thought that I would have to subtract the height of the equation [itex]\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]-2 from 27 to get the height I need to set up the integral. Since I was rotating around the x-axis I first converted the equation so that it would be in terms of y which came out to be x=[itex](y+2)^{3}[/itex]. I then started plugging it into the integral. I knew that since 8[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]27 I would be integrating from (0,1) because those are the possible y values for this equation within that range. My integral came out to be [itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]2pi(y)(27-[itex](y+2)^{3}[/itex]).

From that integral my answer came out to be [itex]\frac{54pi}{5}[/itex] which I know is wrong because when I use the disk method the answer comes out to [itex]\frac{38pi}{5}[/itex] which also happens to be the answer in the textbook. Could someone please check my integral to see if I have it correct? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral is set up correctly and will give 38pi/5 if you don't make any arithmetic errors.

I was wondering why every time I do the integral I got a different number.

2pi[itex]\int[/itex]y(27-[itex](y+2)^{3}[/itex])dx=2pi[itex]\int[/itex](27y-y[itex](y+2)^{3}[/itex])dx=2pi[itex]\int[/itex](27y-y([itex]y^{3}[/itex]+[itex]6y^{2}[/itex]+12y+8))dx=2pi[itex]\int[/itex](27y-([itex]y^{4}[/itex]+[itex]6y^{3}[/itex]+[itex]12y^{2}[/itex]+8y))dx =2pi[itex]\int[/itex](27y-[itex]y^{4}[/itex]-[itex]6y^{3}[/itex]-[itex]12y^{2}[/itex]-8y)dx=2pi([itex]\frac{27y^{2}}{2}-\frac{y^{5}}{5}-\frac{6y^{4}}{4}-\frac{12y^{3}}{3}-\frac{8y^{2}}{2})^{1}_{0}[/itex]=2pi[([itex]\frac{27}{2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]-4-4)-(0)]=2pi(12-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]-8)=2pi(4-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex]) =2pi([itex]\frac{20}{5}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{5}[/itex])=2pi([itex]\frac{19}{5}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{38pi}{5}[/itex]

YESSSSSSS. Thanks so much for your help LCKurtz. I was doing it over and over changing the integral but by knowing that it was an arithmetic error, I realized when I did (y+2)(y+2)(y+2) I multiplied incorrectly leading to the whole thing being wrong. Thanks.

That's a dy integral, by the way. Instead of multiplying the cubic out like that, which, as you know, is very error prone, a much easier way to do the integral is to substitute u = y+2, du = dy. :cool:

Woops. I totally messed up with the dx's haha. Hmm. I will try with the substitution. Thanks so much for your help.

What is the shell method in integration?

The shell method is a technique used in integral calculus to find the volume of a solid of revolution. It involves dividing the solid into thin cylindrical shells and integrating their volumes with respect to the axis of revolution.

When is the shell method used?

The shell method is typically used when the shape being rotated around an axis is not a solid disk, but rather a solid with an empty center or a hole.

What is the formula for the shell method?

The formula for the shell method is V = 2π ∫(radius)(height)(width) dx, where the radius is the distance from the axis of revolution to the edge of the shell, the height is the height of the shell, and the width is the thickness of the shell.

What are the limits of integration for the shell method?

The limits of integration for the shell method will depend on the specific problem at hand. Generally, they will be the values of x at which the solid of revolution begins and ends.

What are the common mistakes made when using the shell method?

Some common mistakes when using the shell method include using the wrong formula, not correctly setting up the integral, and not properly identifying the limits of integration. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to use the shell method.