How can I visualize the plane y=z?

• Thread starter Cankur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, The plane y=z is one of three planes that can be formed between the three different axes and is represented by a line at 45 degrees in the y-z plane. It consists of all vectors of the form x(1,0,0) + y(0,1,1) and can intersect the x-axis and the line y=z at different angles depending on the perspective. It can also be thought of as a steep grade when driving parallel to the y-axis, but flat when driving parallel to the x-axis.
Cankur
Hello

I am trying to solve a problem that involves "the plane y=z". How exactly should I think of this plane? It's obviously one of three planes that can be formed between the three diffirent axes, but which one? What is the intuition behind "y=z"?

A really basic question to some of you, I bet. Any help would be appreciated. The understanding behind it all is what I really want to achieve (not just the right answer).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the y-z plane draw a line of 45 degrees. This line should be the cross section of the plane you want to imagine.

As Anshuman said, first draw a yz-coordinate plane and draw the line y= z (through the origin, at 45 degrees to the axes. Now imagine the x-axis coming out of the paper toward you and the plane being that line coming straight out.
For example, the plane contains the points (x, a, a) for any x or a.

another way to think of this plane, is that it consists of all vectors of the form:

x(1,0,0) + y(0,1,1), for any real numbers x,y.

that is, P = span({(1,0,0), (0,1,1)}).

this plane intersects the "x-axis" (the line x(1,0,0)) and the line y = z. (if we are looking perpendicular to the x-axis (from the "negative part" where x < 0, so the positive numbers are ahead of us) at the yz-plane, we would see our plane "tilted" 45 degrees to the left. if we were on the "positive side" of the x-axis, perpendicluar to it and looking towards the origin, we would see our plane as titled 45 degrees to the right).

driving up our plane parallel to the y-axis it's a rather steep grade, but if we make a left or right turn, and go parallel to the x-axis, it's perfectly flat (unless it's icy, in which case we'll slip down it sideways).

I can provide some insight into visualizing the plane y=z. The equation y=z represents a plane that is parallel to the x-axis and has a slope of 1. This means that for every unit increase in the y-axis, there is also a unit increase in the z-axis. This can be visualized as a flat surface that extends infinitely in the x-direction, with points on the surface having the same value for y and z.

Another way to think about it is to imagine a coordinate system where the x-axis is going into the page, the y-axis is going horizontally, and the z-axis is going vertically. The plane y=z would then be a diagonal line going from the bottom left corner to the top right corner of the coordinate system.

I hope this helps with your understanding of the plane y=z. It's important to remember that visualization is just one way to understand mathematical concepts, but it's equally important to understand the underlying principles and equations that govern them. Keep exploring and asking questions, and you'll continue to deepen your understanding of this and other mathematical concepts.

1. How do planes stay in the air?

Planes stay in the air due to the shape of their wings, which creates lift as air passes over and under them. The engines also provide thrust to keep the plane moving forward and maintaining lift.

2. What are the main components of a plane?

The main components of a plane include the fuselage, wings, engines, and tail. The fuselage is the main body of the plane where passengers and cargo are carried. The wings are responsible for generating lift. The engines provide propulsion for the plane. The tail helps with stability and control.

3. How does air traffic control work?

Air traffic control is a system of communication and navigation that allows airplanes to safely travel through the sky. It involves a combination of radar, radio communication, and visual observation to track and guide planes in the air.

4. What is the role of a pilot in flying a plane?

The pilot is responsible for operating the plane and ensuring the safety of all passengers and crew on board. This includes controlling the plane's speed, direction, and altitude, as well as monitoring and responding to any potential hazards or emergencies.

5. How are planes designed and built?

Planes are designed and built by teams of engineers and technicians who use advanced computer software and simulations to create and test different designs. Once a design is finalized, the plane is built using a combination of lightweight materials such as aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber, and then undergoes extensive testing and inspections before being certified for flight.