What Are the Limitations of Multiplying Delta Functions in Quantum Mechanics?

The summary is that distributions do not form an algebra and cannot be multiplied together in a "legal" way. However, this is a common practice in quantum mechanics. There is no definitive explanation for why this works, but there are some proposed theories. Additionally, for further information on the problem of "complete" sets of eigenfunctions in an infinite-dimensional space, you may want to refer to a text such as von Neumann's book.
cjellison
Hi, I am not seeking a "complete" treatment of distribution functions (like Gelfand or Schwartz). However, I would like some discussion in regards to multiplying delta functions together---especially in QM.

From the little I have discovered, distributions do not form an algebra, and thus, one cannot "legally" multiply delta functions together. However, we do this all the time:

[tex]
\delta(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_0) = \delta(x-x_0)\delta(y-y_0)\delta(z-z_0)
[/tex]

Also, I was wondering about a text that discussed in detail the problem with "complete" sets of eigenfunctions in an infinite-dimensional space ([itex]L_2[/itex]) and normalizing to a delta function rather than to 1. I guess I am looking for better explanations than the typical "it just works" explanation. Do I need von Neumann's book?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The theory of multiplying distributions is very much under-developed and is one of the reasons we lack a rigorous definition of Quantum Field Theory. There are several proposals but no full theory. One can define multiple algebras, the trick is one which preserves the properties you want.

For your second question have a look at https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0502053

1. What is "Seeking Text On Distributions"?

"Seeking Text On Distributions" is a scientific method used to analyze and understand data by examining the distribution of text within a given sample or population. It involves identifying patterns, trends, and relationships within a dataset to make informed conclusions and predictions.

2. Why is "Seeking Text On Distributions" important?

"Seeking Text On Distributions" is important because it allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of a dataset and its underlying patterns. This can lead to the development of new theories and hypotheses, as well as informing decision-making and problem-solving in various fields of study.

3. What are some common applications of "Seeking Text On Distributions"?

"Seeking Text On Distributions" has many applications in various scientific fields, including biology, psychology, economics, and sociology. It can be used to analyze survey responses, social media data, genetic sequences, and more to gain insights into human behavior, market trends, and biological processes.

4. What are the steps involved in "Seeking Text On Distributions"?

The first step in "Seeking Text On Distributions" is to identify the research question or problem to be addressed. Then, the dataset must be collected and organized. Next, descriptive statistics can be used to summarize the data, followed by visualizations to explore the distribution of text within the dataset. Finally, statistical tests and models can be applied to analyze the data and draw conclusions.

5. What are some limitations of "Seeking Text On Distributions"?

One limitation of "Seeking Text On Distributions" is that it is not suitable for all types of data. It is most useful for analyzing text-based data, such as survey responses or social media posts. Additionally, the conclusions drawn from this method are only as accurate as the quality of the data and the statistical methods used.