Displacement in simple harmonic motion

In summary, the problem is to find the displacement of a 0.27 kg mass attached to a spring after being pulled an additional 12.5 cm and released for 0.42 seconds. Using the equation Y(t)=-ACosWT and the given information, the spring constant and amplitude can be calculated to solve the problem.
Dragoon
i have a problem i am working on and i am just not sure how to do it i was looking for some help i will state the problem then explain the way i am trying to do it. thanks for any help in advance.

A 0.27 kg mass is suspended on a spring that stretches a distance of 4.9 cm. The mass is then pulled down an additional distance of 12.5 cm and released. What's the displacement from the equilibrium position with the mass attached (in cm) after 0.42 s? Take up to be positive and use g = 9.81 m/s2.

i think the equation for such a problem is Y(t)=-ACosWT
but all i have is a mass distance and distance the spring stretches i need to find the spring constant and the amplitude then i think i can solve this problem but i am not sure can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the mass stretches the spring by 4.9 cm, then

[tex]mg = kx[/tex]

This let's you calculate k, the spring constant.

The angular frequency is then:

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

assume that the mass moves in a sinusoidal motion [tex] A\sin(\omega t) [/tex] where [tex] A [/tex] is the initial displacement.

1. What is displacement in simple harmonic motion?

Displacement in simple harmonic motion refers to the distance and direction from the equilibrium position of an object as it undergoes periodic oscillations. It is a measure of how far the object moves from its average or resting position.

2. How is displacement related to amplitude in simple harmonic motion?

Displacement and amplitude are directly related in simple harmonic motion. The amplitude of a wave or oscillation is equal to half of the total displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that as the displacement increases, the amplitude also increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating displacement in simple harmonic motion?

The formula for displacement (x) in simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This formula can be used to calculate the displacement of an object at any given time during its oscillation.

4. How does displacement change over time in simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the displacement of an object is constantly changing over time. It follows a sinusoidal pattern, meaning that it oscillates back and forth between positive and negative values around the equilibrium position. As time passes, the displacement increases and decreases in a periodic manner.

5. What factors affect the displacement in simple harmonic motion?

The displacement in simple harmonic motion is affected by the amplitude, frequency, and initial conditions of the oscillation. A larger amplitude or higher frequency will result in a larger displacement, while changes in the initial conditions (such as starting position or velocity) can also impact the displacement over time.