Dissociation energy for the NO molecule

In summary, this conversation is about finding benchmarks for dissociation energy of the NO molecule. One possible way to find these benchmarks is to do a geometry optimisation in qchem. This calculation should be a matter of seconds on a single core. However, the performance of different programs differs widely, so it is important to use a program which is known to handle a certain kind of task well.
Morberticus
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find post-hartree-fock calculation benchmarks for dissociation energy of the NO molecule. Or even just the equilibrium energy of the NO molecule?

I am looking for cc-pVTZ basis set results but I can only seem to find augmented basis set results.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I did a geometry optimisation in qchem at CCSD(T)/cc-pVTZ level. Hope this helps.
Z-matrix Print:
$molecule
1 N
2 O 1 1.154418
$end
Final energy is -129.70273042654063

TAMEPJLAH said:
I did a geometry optimisation in qchem at CCSD(T)/cc-pVTZ level. Hope this helps.
Z-matrix Print:
$molecule
1 N
2 O 1 1.154418
$end
Final energy is -129.70273042654063

That was fast! Thanks. How long did this calculation take? How many cores? It seems much faster than the method I was trying.

Morberticus said:
That was fast! Thanks. How long did this calculation take? How many cores? It seems much faster than the method I was trying.
This calculation should be a matter of seconds on a single core.

Note the horrific scaling of CCSD(T) (7th order). That means it gets very slow quickly for larger systems. That also means that it is very fast for small systems, like NO.

As a side note: The performance of different programs differs widely for different methods and basis sets. For example, many programs cannot deal well with generally contracted basis sets (like cc-pVnZ), and then it can easily happen that one program is spending two days calculating integrals where another program does the same job in five minutes...
So you generally want to use a program which is known to handle a certain kind of task well (e.g., Molpro is a good choice for coupled cluster calculations).

I think this computer has 4 cores, but as cgk said this calculation is fast for small systems. I also recommend cfour for cupled cluster calculations, its free of charge for non-commercial users :) http://www.cfour.de/

Interesting. Would either of you know how efficient a CCSDT, as opposed to CCSD(T) calculation would be? I ask because I have found a set of benchmarks, but I think they are using slightly tweaked basis sets (They optimise the polarisation exponent).

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2000JChPh.113..485F

Their result is half an eV off mine, while the result you reported is almost identical to mine (I used a CI based method).

1. What is dissociation energy for the NO molecule?

The dissociation energy for the NO molecule is the amount of energy required to break the bond between the nitrogen and oxygen atoms and form separate nitrogen and oxygen atoms.

2. Why is dissociation energy important?

Dissociation energy is important because it determines the stability of a molecule and its reactivity. Higher dissociation energy means a stronger bond and a more stable molecule, while lower dissociation energy means a weaker bond and a more reactive molecule.

3. How is dissociation energy measured?

Dissociation energy is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared or ultraviolet spectroscopy. These techniques involve shining light of specific wavelengths on the molecule and measuring the absorption or emission of energy, which can be used to calculate the dissociation energy.

4. What factors affect the dissociation energy of a molecule?

The dissociation energy of a molecule can be affected by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the strength of their bond, and the presence of any electron pairs or lone pairs on the atoms. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the dissociation energy.

5. How does dissociation energy relate to bond strength?

The dissociation energy is directly related to the strength of a chemical bond. A higher dissociation energy means a stronger bond, while a lower dissociation energy means a weaker bond. It is a measure of the amount of energy required to break the bond between two atoms.