Can the brain automate processing of emotions for a blind man?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotion
In summary: This suggests to me that a lot of what is normally attributed to human consciousness is, in fact, just the way our brains are wired. It shouldn't be surprising (I used the example of "highway hypnosis"), but people don't like the idea that most of what we do does not require conscious thought.In summary, patient X has suffered two strokes which damaged the brain areas that process visual signals, leaving him completely blind. However, his eyes and optic nerves are intact and brain scans show that he appears to somehow use a part of the brain not usually used for sight to process visual signals linked to some emotions. This has broad philosophical/spiritual implications.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...The man, identified only as 'patient X', has suffered two strokes which damaged the brain areas that process visual signals, leaving him completely blind.

But his eyes and optic nerves are intact and brain scans show that he appears to somehow use a part of the brain not usually used for sight to process visual signals linked to some emotions. ...published in journal Nature Neuroscience... [continued]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1263470.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I read about it in a Russian Sci-Fi magazine, and disregarded it as baloney. I guess I was wrong.

It seems to be a credible report... I hope... :yuck:

If it's published in Nature Neuroscience, it's credible. That's a top tier journal.

It sounds reasonable that the neurons that process body language and facial expression are different than those that produce direct imagery made up of lines and shapes and colors.

- Warren

is envy really green?
I'll bet love is orange

chroot said:
It sounds reasonable that the neurons that process body language and facial expression are different than those that produce direct imagery made up of lines and shapes and colors.

- Warren
This is similar to another thread about consciousness and humans: people aren't going to like it, but this suggests to me that a lot of what is normally attributed to human consciousness is, in fact, just the way our brains are wired. It shouldn't be surprising (I used the example of "highway hypnosis"), but people don't like the idea that most of what we do does not require conscious thought.

This has broad philosophical/spiritual implications.

Russ,

I think it's actually a common belief among cognitive scientists that the human brain actually strives to automate as much as possible. When you're learning to drive, the task requires continuous conscious control, which is tiring and uses up a lot of energy. As you learn to drive, the brain learns to automates more and more of the task, thus making more efficient use of resources. Your brain doesn't like to waste expensive conscious thought on tasks that can be easily automated.

- Warren

1. How can a blind man detect emotion?

A blind person can detect emotion through various non-visual cues such as tone of voice, body language, and facial expressions. They may also rely on their other senses, such as touch and smell, to pick up on subtle emotional cues.

2. Are there any scientific studies that support this ability?

Yes, there have been several studies that have shown blind individuals possess the ability to accurately detect emotions in others. One study from 2012 found that blind participants were able to accurately identify emotional expressions in faces by relying on the sounds of breath and vocalizations.

3. Can a blind person detect emotions in animals?

While there is limited research on this topic, it is possible for a blind person to detect emotions in animals. They may use their other senses, such as hearing and touch, to pick up on subtle cues in an animal's behavior to determine their emotional state.

4. Is this ability present in all blind individuals?

Just like any other ability, the ability to detect emotions in others may vary among blind individuals. Some may have a heightened sense of emotional perception, while others may not possess this ability at all.

5. Can the ability to detect emotions be learned by someone who is not blind?

Yes, it is possible for someone who is not blind to learn how to detect emotions in others without relying on visual cues. This can be done through training and practice, as well as by paying attention to non-verbal cues and using empathy to understand how others may be feeling.