Which arrangement of voltmeter is better for measuring p.d. across a capacitor?

• Thread starter samuelwsc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltmeter
In summary, the conversation is about two different arrangements of voltmeter being used to measure the potential difference across a capacitor. The question is posed as to what are the pros and cons of using arrangement 1, and there is a discussion about the accuracy of the readings and the advantage of using arrangement 1 in certain experiments.
samuelwsc
1.  ----┤├----(ammeter)-------
    |  cap                |
    |                  |
    └------(voltmeter)-----┘

2.  ----┤├----(ammeter)-------
    | cap     |
    |       |
    └ (voltmeter)┘

Two different arrangement of voltmeter are used to measure the p.d. across the cap. What are the pros & cons of using arrangement 1 ?
can anyone help me with this question? :rofl:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the ampere meter is ideal (that is, it has no resistance), then there is no difference. So let's assume the ampere meter does have some resistance, which of the arrangements would give a more accurate reading for de potential difference over the capacitator?

i think arrangement 2 would give a more accurate reading as it doen't involve
the p.d. across the ammeter . But then what is the advantage of using 1 :confused: i saw some experiments using it...

1. How do I properly connect a voltmeter to a circuit?

The positive lead of the voltmeter should be connected to the point in the circuit with higher potential, while the negative lead should be connected to the point with lower potential.

2. Can I use a voltmeter to measure AC and DC voltage?

Yes, most voltmeters are designed to measure both alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) voltage. However, make sure to check the specifications of your voltmeter to ensure it is suitable for the type of voltage you are measuring.

3. Is it necessary to use a voltmeter with a high input impedance?

For accurate measurement, it is recommended to use a voltmeter with a high input impedance, typically 10 megaohms or higher. This prevents the voltmeter from drawing too much current from the circuit, which can affect the voltage being measured.

4. How should I set the range on my voltmeter?

The range on a voltmeter should be set to a value higher than the expected voltage being measured. If the voltage is unknown, start with the highest range and gradually decrease it until a suitable reading is obtained.

5. Can I use a voltmeter to measure the voltage drop across a component in a circuit?

Yes, a voltmeter can be used to measure the voltage drop across a specific component in a circuit. To do so, the voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the component.