Ultra high energy cosmic particles?

In summary, the high velocities of cosmic rays might be caused by the Fermi acceleration. The highest energy CR was detected by the Japanese AGASA experiment.
tozhan
ultra high energy cosmic particles??

I know there have been serveral instances where protons have been detected traveling through our atmosphere with energies in excess of [tex]3*10^{20}[/tex] eV. This means that they might cause macroscopic effects as the proton would be traveling at speeds close to [tex]C[/tex]. I am just wondering if anyone can come up with a theory as to why and how this can happen??

I don't think its been solved so feel free to include random new strange theories, i enjoy reading them! :rolleyes:

PEACE!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the theories for the high velocities of cosmic rays is called Fermi acceleration. It postulates that cosmic rays are accelerated by magnetic fields

tozhan, do you have any references or sources which identify the method for detecting or discovering 3E20 ev (3E8 TeV) protons?

Those energies are more than 3E11 times the rest energy (938.3 MeV), so the velocities would certainly approaching the speed of light.

Astronuc said:
tozhan, do you have any references or sources which identify the method for detecting or discovering 3E20 ev (3E8 TeV) protons?

Those energies are more than 3E11 times the rest energy (938.3 MeV), so the velocities would certainly approaching the speed of light.
While not a direct answer to your question Astronuc, this paper ("Cosmic Physics: The High Energy Frontier", F.W. Stecker) is one of my favourites as an overview of the field. It contains plenty of references ... I think you'll find that the most energetic CR was detected by the Japanese AGASA experiment, and that 'Fly Eye' detectors have also been used. Basically, the method(s) involve detection and analysis of air showers.

Cosmic Rays in general are believed to be created from supernova explosions in our galaxy and possibly from other galaxies. Protons are ejected from the explosion at extremely high velocities, although this doesn't completely explain where the extremely high energy comsmic rays (10^20 eV) come from. There is only speculation about where these extreme high energy CR come from, if i recall correctly, one possibily is because of a special type of supernova, one so violent that it causes the creation of a black hole. Another possibility is from the acceleration of protons because the the enourmus magnetic fields caused by spinning black holes and very fast spiraling ionized gas falling into the black hole.
This past summer I went to Brookhaven National Laboratory to study cosmic rays and build detectors for them. The design of the detectors were pretty simple, made of mainly dopped lucite and a Photo-Multiplier tube. When a cosmic ray enters our atmosphere traveling at very high speed, it travels a down a great deal until it reaches relativly dense air, and then collides with an air molecule. The collision causes a series of events leading to a shower of particles. The collision between a proton and an air molecule would produce mainly pion, which are composed of a pair of quarks. There would be positive pions (antipions), negative pions, and neutral pions. A positive pion would decay into a positive muon (antimuon), and then into a positron along with certain flavors of neutrinos. A negative pion would decay into a muon, and then into an electron along with other flavors of neutrinos. The neutral pion is a quark/antiquark pair, and therefore decays almost instantly into two xray/gamarays going in opposite directions in order to conserve momentum. The photons will then interact with heavy nucleii in the atmosphere and convert into an electron/positron pair. Once a particle from this shower goes through the lucite in the detector, it will emitt Cherenkov radiation, which will be detected by the PM tube and converted into an electrical signal that can then be analysed.

ps. sorry for my terrible spelling

Last edited:

I was reading that some of these ultra high energy cosmic rays had the amount of kinetic energy as a small golf ball moving @ 90km/h+?

Would you feel or get injured if getting hit by one of these cosmic rays at that energy?

What are ultra high energy cosmic particles?

Ultra high energy cosmic particles are highly energetic particles that originate from outside of Earth's atmosphere and have extremely high energies, typically above 10^18 electron volts. These particles can come from various sources such as supernovas, black holes, and active galactic nuclei.

How are ultra high energy cosmic particles detected?

Ultra high energy cosmic particles are detected using ground-based and space-based observatories. These observatories use specialized detectors, such as the Pierre Auger Observatory, to measure the properties of the particles and their direction of arrival.

What is the significance of studying ultra high energy cosmic particles?

Studying ultra high energy cosmic particles can provide valuable insights into the most extreme environments in the universe, such as the conditions at the core of black holes. It can also help us understand the origin and evolution of the universe and the nature of dark matter and dark energy.

What challenges are involved in studying ultra high energy cosmic particles?

One of the main challenges in studying ultra high energy cosmic particles is their extremely low abundance. Only a few of these particles are detected per square kilometer per century, making it difficult to collect enough data for accurate analysis. Additionally, these particles are affected by magnetic fields in the universe, making it difficult to trace their exact origins.

Do ultra high energy cosmic particles pose any danger to Earth?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that ultra high energy cosmic particles pose any danger to Earth. These particles are constantly bombarding Earth's atmosphere, but they are mostly absorbed or deflected by the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere. However, further research is needed to fully understand the potential risks associated with these particles.