How Does the Pauli Exclusion Principle Explain the Empty Space Inside a Proton?

In summary, the reason why fermions do not overlap is due to the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same state. This is why a quark, which is much smaller than a proton, cannot overlap with another fermion. However, a proton is not just made up of three quarks, but also includes gluons, antiquarks, and quark-antiquark pairs. Therefore, the question of how fermions can exclude each other's occupancy in a seemingly empty space inside a proton remains unanswered. This concept is important in nuclear physics, specifically in understanding the behavior of quarks.
bobsmith76
This question might be beyond our current knowledge but i want to make sure. The reason why fermions do not overlap is due to the pauli exclusion principle which states that one fermion cannot occupy the same state as another fermion. a quark is 10-18m and a proton is 10-15m, 3 orders of magnitude. since mt everest is 103, it follows that a quark is to a proton, what a human is to mt everest sizewise. there are just 3 quarks jostling around in the proton, to say nothing of all the empty space inside the quark (in fact if string theory is right, there are 15 orders of magnitude inside the quark of empty space, but we'll ignore that for now, since it's not proven) so here's my question: how does one fermion exclude the occupancy of another fermion if the space inside the proton is so empty. it's as if we have a sphere or radius 1000 and in it 3 quarks of radius 1 represent the entire sphere. I'm pretty sure the answer to this is not currently known, but i want to make sure.

category justification: i put this in the nuclear physics since it deals with quarks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76, A proton is a lot more complicated than "just three quarks." See for example this post by Matt Strassler.

Thanks for the link. I found this paragraph particularly helpful

You may have heard that a proton is made from three quarks. Indeed here are several pages that say so. This is a lie — a white lie, but a big one. In fact there are zillions of gluons, antiquarks, and quarks in a proton. The standard shorthand, “the proton is made from two up quarks and one down quark”, is really a statement that the proton has two more up quarks than up antiquarks, and one more down quark than down antiquarks. To make the glib shorthand correct you need to add the phrase “plus zillions of gluons and zillions of quark-antiquark pairs.” Without this phrase, one’s view of the proton is so simplistic that it is not possible to understand the LHC at all.

1. What is the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that two electrons, for example, cannot occupy the same energy level within an atom.

2. Who discovered the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle was discovered by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925. It was originally proposed to explain the properties of the periodic table of elements, and has since become a cornerstone of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure and properties of atoms, molecules, and solids. It also explains phenomena such as the degeneracy of energy levels and the stability of matter, as well as leading to the development of many other important principles in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the Pauli exclusion principle affect electron configurations?

The Pauli exclusion principle dictates that electrons must occupy different quantum states, with opposite spins, within an atom. This leads to the familiar electron configurations observed in atoms, such as the filling of orbitals in the order of increasing energy levels.

5. Can the Pauli exclusion principle be violated?

No, the Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental law of nature and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It is a crucial component of our understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.