Fourier Transform with two functions

In summary, to find the Fourier Transform of y = exp(-at)sin(ω0t) for t ≥ 0 and = 0 for t < 0, we can use the identities sin(bx)=(exp(ibx)-exp(-ibx)/2i and \sin z = \frac{e^{iz} - e^{-iz}}{2i} to simplify the algebra. By taking the Fourier of two functions, exp(-at) and sin(ω0t), over t = 0 -> ∞, we can determine the amplitudes C(\omega), S(\omega), and energy spectrum \Phi' for \omega > 0. It is easier to compute Y(\omega) directly and
kpou
[itex]\geq[/itex]

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier Transform of

y = exp([itex]^{}-at[/itex])sin([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{}0[/itex]t) for t ≥ 0
and = 0 for t < 0

Find the amplitudes C([itex]\omega[/itex], S([itex]\omega[/itex]), and energy spectrum [itex]\Phi[/itex]' for [itex]\omega[/itex] > 0 if the term that peaks at negative frequency can be disregarded for pos frequency.

Homework Equations

Y([itex]\omega[/itex]) = C([itex]\omega[/itex]) - iS([itex]\omega[/itex])
[itex]\Phi[/itex]' = C^2([itex]\omega[/itex]) + iS^2([itex]\omega[/itex])
C([itex]\omega[/itex])= [itex]\int[/itex]( y(t)cosw([itex]\omega[/itex]t)dt from -∞ -> ∞
S([itex]\omega[/itex])= [itex]\int[/itex] ( y(t)sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t)dt from -∞ -> ∞

The Attempt at a Solution

I have page after page of trying to simplify the algebra down with no luck. In my text it writes "y" in the equation with no function of ( t ) or ([itex]\omega[/itex]) for most every other equation I see contains either of those. Is there something different about y?

It looks like I have to take the Fourier of two functions exp([itex]^{}-at[/itex]) and sin([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{}0[/itex]t) over t = 0 -> [itex]\infty[/itex]

I try exp(-at)[/itex]sin[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{}0[/itex]tcos([itex]\omega[/itex]t) using sin(bx)=(exp(ibx)-exp(-ibx)/2i

Am I missing something? Are there any algebraic tricks I may be missing? Thanks !

C([itex]\omega[/itex])= [itex]\int[/itex]( y(t)cosw([itex]\omega[/itex]t)dt from 0 -> ∞ Since y(t) = 0 for negative t

= [itex]\int[/itex] exp(-at)sin(ω0)t)cos(ω0t)dt
= [itex]\int[/itex] exp(-at)[ (1/2i) ( exp(iω0t) - exp(-iω0t) ) (1/2) ( exp(iωt) + exp(-iωt))] dt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, it's much easier to compute [itex]Y(\omega)[/itex] directly and determine [itex]C(\omega), S(\omega)[/itex] as the real and imaginary parts. You will want to use the identity

[tex] \sin z = \frac{e^{iz} - e^{-iz}}{2i}.[/tex]

1. What is a Fourier Transform with two functions?

A Fourier Transform with two functions is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It involves taking the original function, which is typically a time domain signal, and converting it into its equivalent representation in the frequency domain.

2. How is a Fourier Transform with two functions different from a regular Fourier Transform?

A regular Fourier Transform involves analyzing one function at a time, whereas a Fourier Transform with two functions involves analyzing two functions simultaneously. This allows for a more thorough understanding of the relationship between the two functions and their frequencies.

3. What are the practical applications of a Fourier Transform with two functions?

A Fourier Transform with two functions has many practical applications, including signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to analyze and understand complex systems and phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier Transform with two functions?

One limitation of a Fourier Transform with two functions is that it assumes the functions are periodic. This means that they repeat themselves infinitely in both the time and frequency domains. Additionally, it is not suitable for analyzing non-stationary signals, as the frequencies of these signals change over time.

5. How is a Fourier Transform with two functions calculated?

A Fourier Transform with two functions is calculated using complex mathematical equations that involve integrals and trigonometric functions. These calculations can be done manually, but are often performed using software programs such as MATLAB or Python, which have built-in functions for calculating Fourier Transforms.