SHM spring system, Tension direction confusion.

In summary, when a particle is initially displaced to one side of a horizontal spring, the tension in both sides will act in the same direction, and the equations for the system will be incorrect.
binbagsss
Say a spring is on a horizontal table, and the particle is initially at the midpoint of the spring in equilibrium, and then the particle is displaced to one side.

I have attached a diagram, let this side be more to A.

Then I am confused as to which direction the tension in both sides of the spring will act and why.

My thoughts would be along the lines of:
- displaced more towards A, this side of the spring is compressed, the tension will therefore act in the direction AB acting to re-extend the spring (restoring)
- and vice versa with spring B, which is extended and therefore will act to compress
- of course these thoughts are wrong as the tensions would both then be in the same direction.

Thanks alot.

Also upon derviation I am using the time when the particle is intially displaced and so would conclude that the acceleration direction is in the direction BA

Attachments

• shm.png
    shm.png
    976 bytes · Views: 489
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
My thoughts would be along the lines of:
- displaced more towards A, this side of the spring is compressed, the tension will therefore act in the direction AB acting to re-extend the spring (restoring)
- and vice versa with spring B, which is extended and therefore will act to compress

Sounds alright to me.

binbagsss said:
- of course these thoughts are wrong as the tensions would both then be in the same direction.

What is wrong with that?

cepheid said:
What is wrong with that?

(I have attached a diagram showing the correct diagram and equations.)

Not applying this correct has led me to derive my equation wrong:

- The question is that initially a string has a particle p attached to its midpoint and is stretched at 4a: AB=4a and natural length is 2a.
- The particle is then released from rest at C, where AC - 3a/2, establish the equation of motion.

My thoughts were that the part ‘A’ is compressed and so will naturally act to restore, acting in the opposite diagram than shown in the diagram, and B would act naturally to restore its extension also acting in this direction.

Leading me to dervie :

- Mg(a+x)/a - mg(a-x)/a - mn[dx/dt]= mx[d^2x/dt^2] as a pose to the solution attached.

(judging by the initial conditions to set up the system - system is moved to the right (hence acceleration this way) and resistance opposes this, tensions as above.)

Thanks a lot for any assistance !

Attachments

• a system of.png
    a system of.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 457
  • sole.png
    sole.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 443

1. What is a SHM spring system?

A SHM (simple harmonic motion) spring system is a type of mechanical system that demonstrates periodic motion. It consists of a mass attached to a spring, which can stretch and compress due to the force of the mass.

2. How does a SHM spring system work?

A SHM spring system works by following Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This results in the mass oscillating back and forth in a predictable pattern.

3. What is the equation for a SHM spring system?

The equation for a SHM spring system is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

4. How does tension play a role in a SHM spring system?

Tension is an important component of a SHM spring system, as it is the force that keeps the spring stretched or compressed. Without tension, the spring would not be able to exert a force on the mass and there would be no oscillation.

5. Why is there confusion about the direction of tension in a SHM spring system?

The confusion about the direction of tension in a SHM spring system often arises because tension is an internal force and cannot be directly observed. It is also affected by the direction of the displacement of the mass and can change as the mass oscillates.