Help with getting a non-Newtonian fluid to react

In summary, your friend is attempting an experiment with corn starch and low frequencies using a 25W guitar amp and a laptop. The results seen in videos on YouTube may be difficult to replicate due to various factors, such as the type of speaker and corn starch being used. Adjusting the gain on the amp and experimenting with different substances may help achieve the desired results. Further research on the setup and techniques used in the videos may also be beneficial.
AstroPascal
This is my first posting on this forum. I apologize if this is the wrong place.

My friend is trying the experiment where corn starch is placed on a speaker at low frequencies and forms strange shapes. There are videos on youtube but I cannot add links yet.

It's for our physics class as a final project (yeah, it's a great final). She's having trouble getting it to work though.

She's using a 25W guitar amp with a frequency generated by a laptop. The signal runs from the labtop straight into the regular guitar input. The amp works with a guitar, but at the very low frequencies she's trying to use to get the fluid to become more viscous there is no noticeable effect.

My theory is that the signal from the laptop is meant for a speaker alone, and not an amplifier then a speaker. Is this true? Could adjusting the gain on the amp help?

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks for reading. May the gravitational force be with you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out to the forum for help with your friend's experiment. I am a scientist with a background in physics, and I would be happy to offer some suggestions.

First of all, it is great that your friend is trying out this experiment for your physics class. It can be a fun and engaging way to learn about sound waves and fluid dynamics.

From your description, it seems like your friend is on the right track with using a 25W guitar amp and a laptop to generate the low frequencies. However, there are a few things to consider when trying to replicate the results seen in videos on YouTube.

One potential issue could be the type of speaker being used. The best results are typically achieved with a speaker that has a large surface area, such as a subwoofer or a large speaker cone. A regular guitar amp speaker may not be able to produce the same level of vibrations at low frequencies.

Another factor to consider is the type of corn starch being used. The consistency and size of the starch particles can affect how they respond to the vibrations. It may be worth experimenting with different types of corn starch or even other substances, such as sand or salt.

In terms of the signal from the laptop, it is possible that the gain on the amp could make a difference. I would suggest trying different settings to see if that helps. It could also be helpful to directly connect the laptop to the speaker, bypassing the amp, to see if that produces a stronger effect.

Overall, it may require some trial and error to get the experiment to work as desired. I would also recommend doing some research on the specific setup and techniques used in the videos your friend is trying to replicate.

I hope this helps and good luck with your final project! And may the gravitational force be with you as well.

1. What is a non-Newtonian fluid?

A non-Newtonian fluid is a type of fluid that does not follow the traditional laws of viscosity, meaning its viscosity (resistance to flow) is not constant. This means the fluid's behavior can change under different conditions, such as when pressure or shear forces are applied.

2. How can I get a non-Newtonian fluid to react?

The best way to get a non-Newtonian fluid to react is by applying some form of stress or force to it. This can include stirring, shaking, squeezing, or even walking on the fluid. The key is to disrupt the fluid's structure and create movement within it.

3. What are some examples of non-Newtonian fluids?

Some common examples of non-Newtonian fluids include ketchup, toothpaste, mayonnaise, and paint. These fluids can have different viscosities and flow behaviors depending on how they are handled or the conditions they are in.

4. Is it possible to make a non-Newtonian fluid at home?

Yes, it is possible to make a non-Newtonian fluid at home using simple ingredients such as cornstarch and water. This mixture, also known as oobleck, is a popular science experiment that demonstrates the properties of non-Newtonian fluids.

5. Are there any practical applications for non-Newtonian fluids?

Yes, there are many practical applications for non-Newtonian fluids. They are commonly used in industries such as food, cosmetics, and oil drilling. They are also used in products like body armor and shock absorbers, as their ability to change viscosity under different conditions can provide unique properties for these applications.