Why are there 24 hours in a day and 60 seconds in a minute?

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
In summary, the reason we have 24 hours per day, 60 secs per minute is because it is based off of the stars and the Earth's rotation.
darkar
I am curious about this, why we set 24 hours per day, 60 secs per minute?

Physics news on Phys.org
darkar said:
I am curious about this, why we set 24 hours per day, 60 secs per minute?

A wizard did it.

If you watch the stars a lot, you'll notice their location shifts a little each night as the Earth orbits the Sun. There's approximately 360 nights a year, so you could say the amount that each star shifts per night is some unit about 1/360 th of a complete rotation. The Babylonians built a base 60 numbering system based on tracking the stars, hence the 60 minutes per degree and the 60 seconds per minute (and the approximation of 360 days per year - it would be hard to build a numbering system from 365).

The stars also seem to rotate during the night, so the only way you can really use them for navigation is to know what time it is. It only makes sense to make your time units compatible with your position units, hence the 60 minutes per hour, the 60 seconds per minute. Of course, it only takes one day for the Earth to rotate, so the length of the day winds up being 24 hours instead of something more compatible with a base 60 numbering system, but it works well enough.

Edit: Actually, that doesn't really explain why 24 and not some other number since the length of a second didn't have to be the current length. Ideally, the day's segments would be easy to fit back into a circle. The easiest angles are angles like pi/2, pi/3, pi/4, pi/6. pi/12 isn't that much harder than pi/6, and I guess they felt pi/6 was just too long for one hour.

Last edited:
johnchao said:
24 hours in a day is not accurate. The Earth turns around in 23.93 hours.
But then it has to turn a little bit more to keep up with the motion around the sun -> 24 hours in a (mean solar) day.

If it was like you're saying (i.e. that one day is 23 hours 56 minutes), then half the year we would have daylight during ordinary nighttime...

What we want is that the sun should be at its highest point in the sky about the same time (12.00) every day. That's why we make sure there is 24 hours between two such events.

(Ok, then we could have day-light saving time and so on, but that's really another story. Also, one hour is not defined as 1/24 of a solar day anymore (it's defined as a certain amount of oscillations in a cesium atom), but the deviation is really tiny, and it's enough to put in some extra second now and then.)

Last edited:
johnchao said:
There is a difference of 3 min.58.91 sec. per day in the watch or clock.
Compared to what?

Compared to a siderial day, yes!
But not compared to a solar day (i.e. an ordinary day)!

Last edited:
EL said:
Compared to what?

Compared to a siderial day, yes!
But not compared to a solar day (i.e. an ordinary day)!
You are right. I am confused.
One day = 24 hours = Daily cycle of the sun.
Daily cycle of star = 23.93 hours.
I get wrong information from some web pages.

Actually the days are getting longer. The moon's gravity is slowly tugging at the earth, slowing its rotation ever so slightly each year. Billions of years ago the days(rotation of the earth) was only 18 hours long. Eventually the Earth will stop spinning altogether but by that time the sun will have long burned out.

franznietzsche said:
A wizard did it.

He tutors me on my HW.

cyrusabdollahi said:
He tutors me on my HW.

That was an 8-bit theater joke, incidently.

How was this thread resurrected? Wtf mate?

I can't make the same necroposting-necrophilia-morrowind joke twice in the the same month.

franznietzsche said:
That was an 8-bit theater joke, incidently.

How was this thread resurrected? Wtf mate?

I can't make the same necroposting-necrophilia-morrowind joke twice in the the same month.

You're no fun.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You're no fun.

Yeah but looks aren't everything.

1. How many hours are in a day?

There are 24 hours in a day.

2. Why are there 24 hours in a day?

The concept of 24 hours in a day dates back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians and Babylonians who used a base 60 numbering system. This led to the division of a day into 24 hours, with each hour consisting of 60 minutes and each minute consisting of 60 seconds.

3. Has the length of a day always been 24 hours?

No, the length of a day has not always been 24 hours. In fact, the Earth's rotation is gradually slowing down, causing days to be slightly longer than 24 hours. However, this change is only noticeable over a long period of time and is currently being compensated for by the addition of leap seconds.

4. Why do some countries use a 24-hour clock?

The 24-hour clock, also known as military time, is used in many countries for practical reasons. It eliminates the confusion of using AM and PM and allows for easier coordination in international communication and transportation.

5. Is 24 hours a universal concept?

Yes, the concept of 24 hours in a day is recognized and used globally. However, some cultures may have different ways of dividing a day into smaller increments, such as the Chinese tradition of dividing a day into 12 two-hour periods.