Probability - factorial algebraic manipulation

In summary, the given formula shows that the product of n consecutive numbers, divided by the factorial of r, is equal to the factorial of n divided by the product of the factorial of (n-r) and the factorial of r. This can be manipulated algebraically by multiplying both sides by r! and then canceling it on the left side, leaving the expression n! on the right side.
DrummingAtom
I saw this in my book and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how this formula was manipulated algebraically to equal the other side. I know that it works because I've used it several times but I can't show that it is true.

[tex] \frac{n(n-1)...(n-r+1)}{r!} = \frac {n!}{(n-r)!r!} [/tex]

One of the things I tried was cross multiplied the r! and canceled it then multilpied the (n-r)!to the other side. Which I was left with:

[tex] [n(n-1)...(n-r+1)]*[(n-r)!]= n! [/tex]

From here I tried expanding the factorials then cancelling stuff but I'm still not seeing the pattern. Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look at the left hand of your last equation. We have:
[tex]n(n-1)\cdots (n-r +1)[/tex]
times
[tex](n-r)! = (n-r)(n-r-1)\cdots (2)(1)[/tex]
Multiplying these together you get
[tex]n(n-1)\cdots (n-r +1)(n-r)\cdots (2)(1) = n![/tex]

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty.

2. What is factorial algebraic manipulation?

Factorial algebraic manipulation is a technique used to simplify and solve problems involving factorial notation. It involves using the properties of factorials, such as the factorial rule and the factorial theorem, to manipulate expressions and equations.

3. How is probability related to factorial algebraic manipulation?

Probability and factorial algebraic manipulation are closely related because they both involve the use of factorials. In probability, factorials are used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a sample space, while in factorial algebraic manipulation, factorials are used to simplify expressions involving factorials.

4. What are some common applications of probability and factorial algebraic manipulation?

Probability and factorial algebraic manipulation have many real-world applications, such as in the fields of statistics, economics, and computer science. They are used to analyze and make predictions about random events and to solve problems involving permutations, combinations, and probability distributions.

5. How can I improve my skills in probability and factorial algebraic manipulation?

The best way to improve your skills in probability and factorial algebraic manipulation is to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the properties and techniques involved. There are also many online resources, textbooks, and courses available that can help you develop a strong understanding of these concepts.