Family of continuous functions defined on complete metric spaces

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that if X is a complete metric space and {fα(x) : α ∈ A} is a bounded subset of Y for each x ∈ X, then there exists a nonempty open subset U of X such that {fα(x) : α ∈ A, x ∈ U} is a bounded subset of Y. The Baire Category Theorem is a relevant concept, but the solution using it is not fully understood. The first step is to show that the set E_n, defined as the set of points x in X such that d(fα(x), y0)≤n for all α, is closed.
alex297

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be metric spaces such that X is complete. Show that if {fα(x) : α ∈ A} is a bounded subset of Y for each x ∈ X, then there exists a nonempty open subset U of X such that {fα(x) : α ∈ A, x ∈ U} is a bounded subset of Y.

Homework Equations

Definition of complete:
A metric space X is called complete if every Cauchy sequence in X converges in X.

Definition of bounded:
A set S is called bounded if ∃ x ∈ A, R>0 such that B(x,R) ⊃ S.

Baire Category Theorem:
Let {Un} be a sequence of open dense subsets of (X,d), X complete. Then
∪ Un, 1≤n<∞ is also dense.

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend and I have been working on this problem for a little while now and we're just plain stuck. I've included everything I find relevant above, including the Baire Category Theorem, which I actually don't see how it's relevant but we saw a solution that used it, even though we don't understand the solution. Here it is in case you can make sense of it (I underlined the parts I didn't follow...pretty much all of it):

Fix a point y0 ∈ Y. For each n≥1, define En to be the set of points x ∈ X such that d(fα(x), y0)≤n for all α.
Since the fα's are continuous, En is closed. By hypothesis, X is the union of the En's. By the Baire Category Theorem, some En has nonempty interior, which we take to be U.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
alex297 said:

Homework Statement

Let X and Y be metric spaces such that X is complete. Show that if {fα(x) : α ∈ A} is a bounded subset of Y for each x ∈ X, then there exists a nonempty open subset U of X such that {fα(x) : α ∈ A, x ∈ U} is a bounded subset of Y.

Homework Equations

Definition of complete:
A metric space X is called complete if every Cauchy sequence in X converges in X.

Definition of bounded:
A set S is called bounded if ∃ x ∈ A, R>0 such that B(x,R) ⊃ S.

Baire Category Theorem:
Let {Un} be a sequence of open dense subsets of (X,d), X complete. Then
∪ Un, 1≤n<∞ is also dense.

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend and I have been working on this problem for a little while now and we're just plain stuck. I've included everything I find relevant above, including the Baire Category Theorem, which I actually don't see how it's relevant but we saw a solution that used it, even though we don't understand the solution. Here it is in case you can make sense of it (I underlined the parts I didn't follow...pretty much all of it):

Fix a point y0 ∈ Y. For each n≥1, define En to be the set of points x ∈ X such that d(fα(x), y0)≤n for all α.
Since the fα's are continuous, En is closed. By hypothesis, X is the union of the En's. By the Baire Category Theorem, some En has nonempty interior, which we take to be U.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Let's take your problems one at a time. Start with the statement [itex]E_n[/itex] is closed. For a fixed α is the set of points x ∈ X such that d(fα(x), y0)≤n closed? What's the relation of [itex]E_n[/itex] to those sets??

What is a complete metric space?

A complete metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a space in which every Cauchy sequence (a sequence in which the terms get closer and closer together) converges to a limit that is also within that space.

What is a family of continuous functions?

A family of continuous functions is a set of functions that all have the property of continuity, meaning that they have no sudden jumps or breaks in their graphs. These functions are often used to describe relationships between variables in mathematics and science.

Why is it important to define a family of continuous functions on a complete metric space?

Defining a family of continuous functions on a complete metric space is important because it ensures that the functions in the family will behave in a predictable and consistent manner. This is especially useful in mathematical and scientific applications where accuracy and precision are crucial.

What are some examples of complete metric spaces?

Some examples of complete metric spaces include Euclidean spaces, such as the real number line or a plane, as well as function spaces, such as the space of all continuous functions on a closed interval.

How are families of continuous functions on complete metric spaces used in scientific research?

Families of continuous functions on complete metric spaces are often used in scientific research to model and analyze complex relationships between variables. They can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about a system or phenomenon.