Solving Inhomogeneous Linear Equations: Proving Solvability for All a-Values

In summary: If a is not -2, then the third equation is false and, therefore, the entire system is false. If a is -2, the third equation is true, and the other two equations are 2x+ 3y+ z= -6 which has the same solution as your first two equations. If a is not -2, there is no solution. If a is -2, there are an infinite number of solutions.In summary, the conversation discusses a linear algebra question regarding a system of linear equations. The equations are shown in matrix form and it is determined that the system is solvable for certain values of "a". It is then discussed how to determine if the system is solvable for any
Mathman23
Hi Guys,

I got this linear algebra question I hope You Guys can assist me with :smile:

Below there is a inhomogeneous system of linear equations which I solve:

[itex]x_{1} + 2x_{2} + x_{3} = a [/itex]

[itex]3x_{1} + 4x_{2} + 2x_{3} = a - 3 [/itex]

[itex]-4x_{1} + 2x_{2} + x_{3} = 3 [/itex]

I then end up the following matrix:

1 0 0 0 -3a/5

0 1 1/2 (2a+3)/5

0 0 0 (-11a/10)

I´m then supose to prove if its possible to solve the system for every a-value.

By solving the equation (2a+3)/5) = 0. I then get an a-value a = -1/2 .

If I insert this a into the above matrix and row-reduce that matrix I get:

1 0 0 0
0 1 1/2 0
0 0 0 1

I then do some tests and then conclude if I choose an a-value in the interval
[-1000000,1000000]. I still end up the same matrix above.

Is it then correct to assume if I chose an a-value in the interval [-infty,infty]. I would then still end up with the same matrix?

If my assumption is correct, is it then safe to assume that its possible to solve the system of linear-equations for every a-value??

sincerely
Fred

Physics news on Phys.org
why did you set your second line equal to 0. You should set the last row equal to 0, for to solve the system with real solutions, you need to have 0 = 0. It also epends on what kind of solutions you are looking for, do you want infinite solutions, one real solution or No solution to the system.

Regards,

Nenad

If you write it out in matrix form:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 2 & 1 \\
3 & 4 &2 \\
-4 & 2 & 1\\ \end{array}\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3\\ \end{array}\right)
=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
a \\ a-3 \\ 3 \\ \end{array}\right)[/tex]

which is solvable iff the vector on the right is in the span of the column vectors in the matrix. Do the column vectors of the matrix span the entire space?

Galileo said:
If you write it out in matrix form:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 2 & 1 \\
3 & 4 &2 \\
-4 & 2 & 1\\ \end{array}\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3\\ \end{array}\right)
=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
a \\ a-3 \\ 3 \\ \end{array}\right)[/tex]

which is solvable iff the vector on the right is in the span of the column vectors in the matrix. Do the column vectors of the matrix span the entire space?
The Determinant of the 3x3 matrix is ZERO (0). Therefore, there does NOT exist a SINGLE UNIQUE solution. Either there are no solutions or an infinite number, depending on the value of "a".

~~

mathman23 said:
1 0 0 0 -3a/5

0 1 1/2 (2a+3)/5

0 0 0 (-11a/10)

I´m then supose to prove if its possible to solve the system for every a-value.
"prove if"? Do you mean "determine whether or not it is possible to solve the system for each a-value"?

The obvious point is that the last row of your final matrix: 0 0 0 (-11a/10)
is only valid if (-11a/10)= 0 which reduces to a= 0.

However, I don't get that. I get:

1 2 1 a
0 -2 -1 -2a-3
0 0 0 -6a-12

Which means a should be -2 in order for this system to have a solution. (And it will, in that case, have an infinite number of solutions.)

Hello Hall,

Yes what I'm attempting to determain if the system of non-homogeneous linear equations can be solved for any a !

I guess then my matrix operations are done incorrectly.

With Your result in mind I will retry them :smile:

Sincerley and thanks for Your answer.

/Fred

HallsofIvy said:
"prove if"? Do you mean "determine whether or not it is possible to solve the system for each a-value"?

The obvious point is that the last row of your final matrix: 0 0 0 (-11a/10)
is only valid if (-11a/10)= 0 which reduces to a= 0.

However, I don't get that. I get:

1 2 1 a
0 -2 -1 -2a-3
0 0 0 -6a-12

Which means a should be -2 in order for this system to have a solution. (And it will, in that case, have an infinite number of solutions.)

Hi Hall,

I have rerun my matrix operations and I now get the same result as You :smile:

How come its possible to conclude by solving -6a-12=0 that "a" must equal
-2 in order to the system of linear equations to have a solution?

And do this contradict the claim "determine whether or not it is possible to solve the system for each and any a-value?"

Sincerley

Fred

Isn't it obvious? What you are saying in doing that "row-reduction', is that the original three equations are equivalent to
x+ 2y+ z= a
-2y- z= -2a-3
0= -6a-12

In order for all those equations to be true- certainly the third one has to be true!

Since there are no x, y, or z in it we MUST have -6a- 12= 0 (therefore a= -2) in order for it to be true.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations using vector spaces and matrices.

2. What are the applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has several applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It is used for solving systems of equations, data analysis, image processing, and machine learning, among others.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and determinants.

4. How is linear algebra used in machine learning?

Linear algebra is crucial in machine learning as it provides the foundation for many algorithms and models. It is used for data preprocessing, feature extraction, and model training and evaluation. Matrices and vector operations are heavily used in machine learning algorithms.

5. What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are several resources available for learning linear algebra, such as textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Online platforms like Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses on linear algebra.