Which photon has the higher frequency?

In summary: The change in energy of the electron from n = 3 to n = 2 is -1/4-=-5/36, while the change in energy of the electron from n = 2 to n = 1 is +1/2-=5/12.In summary, the atom emits a photon of light when it moves from state n=2 to n=1.
smokie
Chemistry is not my strong subject...

A hydrogen atom undergoes a transition from the state n=3 to n=2 and then another transition from n=2 to n=1. Two photons are created due to these processes. Which photon has the higher frequency?

AND What is meant by 'n = #' ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Check out this thread, keeping in mind that [tex]E=h\nu[/tex]. The principal quantum number, "n", is a property of a quantum mechanical state with certain energy. States with different "n" have different energies.

I didn't understand the discussion on that site very well. The course I'm in is a physics course and they threw in some chemistry, however, we don't have a textbook, so my resource is mainly the internet...

States with different 'n' values have different energies, but do the energies from n = 1, 2, 3 differ by a constant value [i.e. 1, 3, 5] or not?

smokie said:
States with different 'n' values have different energies, but do the energies from n = 1, 2, 3 differ by a constant value [i.e. 1, 3, 5] or not?

Actually, the energy of a state is proportional to the square of the inverse of the principal quantum number, "n". So, if we choose units in which the energy of the n=1 state is -1 (the total energy of a bound state is always negative), then the n=2,3, and 4 states will have energies of -1/4, -1/9, and -1/16, respectively. An energy greater than 0 will mean that the electron is no longer bound to the nucleus.

ok got that...so then obviously an electron moving from energy state -1/9 to -1/4, it would give off more energy than one moving from -1/4 to -1, correct?

smokie said:
ok got that...so then obviously an electron moving from energy state -1/9 to -1/4, it would give off more energy than one moving from -1/4 to -1, correct?

You might want to try that subtraction again. :wink:

Well I can see what I did wrong but doesn't an electron moving to a state 'closer' to the nucleus give off energy?

smokie said:
Well I can see what I did wrong but doesn't an electron moving to a state 'closer' to the nucleus give off energy?

If by "closer" you mean more tightly bound to the nucleus, then yes. The most tightly bound state is n=1.

Yes, what I mean is that the electrons are more tightly bound to the nucleus. So, how should I do my subtraction? I should do -1/4 - -1/9 ? <-- Negative number would be required for energy released... ?

Last edited:
smokie said:
Yes, what I mean is that the electrons are more tightly bound to the nucleus. So, how should I do my subtraction? I should do -1/4 - -1/9 ? <-- Negative number would be required for energy released... ?

When it moves from state n=3 to n=2, does the electron's energy increase or decrease (based on what I already said)? If energy is conserved, what does this mean for the photon that's emitted?

When moving from state n = 3 to n = 2, the electron's energy decreases... it loses some of the energy to the escaping photon...that's what I'm understanding..

smokie said:
When moving from state n = 3 to n = 2, the electron's energy decreases... that's what I'm understanding..

That's right. So, to conserve energy, the atom must emit a photon of light!

Exactly, soo, but then isn't my subtraction correct?

The only thing I'm seeing wrong with my subtraction is that for 'energy' I should have a negative answer...

In our units, the energy change from n=3 to n=2 is (-1/9)-(-1/4)=5/36. This is the energy that's released as light. It's the change in energy of the electron that's negative: (-1/4)-(-1/9)=-5/36.

Ahh, I see what you mean. E2 - E1 = energy released as light, while E1 - E2 = change in energy of the electron.

That would mean that more energy is released from n = 2 to n = 1, than is from n = 3 to n = 2, would it not?

1. What is frequency in terms of photons?

Frequency refers to the number of times a photon oscillates per second. It is a measure of the energy of the photon, with higher frequency photons having more energy.

2. How is frequency related to the wavelength of a photon?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency of a photon increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

3. Which photon has a higher frequency, red or blue?

Blue photons have a higher frequency than red photons. This is because blue light has a shorter wavelength and therefore oscillates more times per second compared to red light.

4. Can two photons have the same frequency?

Yes, two photons can have the same frequency if they have the same energy. This is known as monochromatic light.

5. How is frequency measured in photons?

Frequency is typically measured in units of hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. In the case of photons, frequency can also be measured in electron volts (eV) or joules (J), which represent the amount of energy each photon carries.