CosA=cos2A+cos4A where 0°<or equal to A<or equal to 360°

• Thread starter johnibr5
  • Start date
In summary, John is having trouble solving a question in his calculus course and comes to ask the best minds on the website for help. He accidentally creates an extra cosA and then uses the two step method to solve the problem.
johnibr5
Hey guys, I'm doing a correspondence course in calculus and I have literally one last question to complete and I am having the worst luck solving it. I am coming here to ask because I hear the best minds are on this website.

Anyways the question, is:
Find the solution to the nearest angle for the following question

cosA=cos2A+cos4A where 0°<or equal to A<or equal to 360°

I'm usually decent in these types of questions but neither me or my aunt(really good in calc) can't figure it out.

Thanks and this really appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Use identity: cos2A = 2cos2A - 1.
Apply it also to cos4A in two steps (cos4A -> cos2A -> cosA).
You now have a polynomial in cosA.
Solve, keeping roots within interval [-1,1]. Find A (cos table if needed).

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1371761922.824723.jpg
thanks for the help, but I messed up somewheres I'm pretty sure. Could you tell me where I messed up? Thanks a bunch

hi johnibr5! :smile:

you've completely missed out the cos2A ! :redface:

also, it would be a lot easier to use mathman's :smile: two-step method …
mathman said:
Apply it also to cos4A in two steps (cos4A -> cos2A -> cosA).

Wow I feel dumb for forgetting the cos2A..

My calculus course book shows how to solve it differently so I'm not too sure about the 2 step method :p

johnibr5 said:
My calculus course book shows how to solve it differently so I'm not too sure about the 2 step method :p

your method would work fine if you hadn't materialised an extra cosA from nowhere! :rolleyes:

(the 2 step method is easier because it completely avoids any sines … try it! :smile:)

(just got up :zzz:)
johnibr5 said:
… Could you please explain that two-step method that mathman was talking about? I don't understand it yet..thanks a lot!

cos2A = 2cos2A - 1

so cos4A = 2cos22A - 1

= 2(2cos2A - 1)2 - 1​

now expand :smile:

Thank you so much! I finally got it, I knew I'd miss a little step throughout the way. Thanks again and now I can write this exam and enjoy comp sci!

are you familiar with this identity ?
cos A + cos B = 2cos(A+B/2)*cos(A-B/2)

Yeah, I tried that but messed up near the end. But I figured it out now, thanks

1. What is the equation CosA=cos2A+cos4A?

The equation CosA=cos2A+cos4A is a trigonometric identity that relates the cosine values of an angle A, its double angle 2A, and its quadruple angle 4A. It states that the cosine of angle A is equal to the sum of the cosine of its double angle and its quadruple angle.

2. What is the range of values for A in the equation CosA=cos2A+cos4A?

The range of values for A in the equation CosA=cos2A+cos4A is between 0° and 360°, including both endpoints. This means that A can take on any value between 0 and 360 degrees, including 0 and 360 degrees themselves.

3. How can this equation be used in real-life applications?

This equation can be used in real-life applications involving periodic phenomena, such as sound or light waves. It can also be used in engineering and physics problems involving the motion of objects that exhibit periodic behavior, such as pendulums or springs.

4. Can the equation CosA=cos2A+cos4A be used for angles in radians?

Yes, the equation CosA=cos2A+cos4A can be used for angles in radians as well. The range of values for A in radians would be between 0 and 2π, including both endpoints.

5. How can one prove the validity of this equation?

This equation can be proven using the double angle and quadruple angle formulas for cosine, as well as the Pythagorean identity. By substituting these formulas into the equation and simplifying, one can show that both sides are equal and thus prove the validity of the equation.