Energy of different energy levels of hydrogen atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy levels for a hydrogen atom in a 2p state with the inclusion of spin and a magnetic field. The use of total angular momentum and its projection is necessary due to spin-orbit coupling, rather than traditional quantum numbers. The output of the equation results in extremely small numbers, but this is due to the negative initial energy of the ground state. Further clarification is needed on the exact values to be used for the total angular momentum of the electron.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom is in 2p state, how many different energy levels are there if a magnetic field of 0.10 T is applied to it, and what are their energies? Make sure spin is included.

Homework Equations

U = -gmsμzB

g is the Lande-g factor, which is about -2 for electrons
ms is spin, which is +/- 1/2
μz is -μbm, which is the Bohr magneton times mass.
Bohr magneton is equal to about 5.78x10-5
The mass is, I assume, the mass of the electron, which is about 9.109x10-31

And the initial energy of the ground state is E0 is -13.6/n^2

n is 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 6 energy levels, because ml has -1,0,1 and each of those has a spin of +/- 1/2.

So what I did was just make the equation E0 + U, which gives me the initial energy, plus the energy that U provides. But I'm getting extremely small numbers for U. For example, for ml = 1, and the +1/2 spin, I'm getting, for U, 5.27x10-36. Added to E0, that's miniscule. Plus I'm always going to have a negative answer, since E0 is negative.

So I don't know why it's negative, and I'm not sure if my answers are correct, because they seem extremely small.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I get 6 energy levels, because ml has -1,0,1 and each of those has a spin of +/- 1/2.
Because of spin-orbit coupling, ##m_l## and ##m_s## are not good quantum numbers. You need to look at the total angular momentum of the electron ##j## and its projection ##m_j##.

DrClaude said:
Because of spin-orbit coupling, ##m_l## and ##m_s## are not good quantum numbers. You need to look at the total angular momentum of the electron ##j## and its projection ##m_j##.

In what way are they not good quantum numbers?

For total angular momentum of the electron, do I use [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\hbar[/tex]

Thanks.

What are the different energy levels of a hydrogen atom and how are they determined?

The energy levels of a hydrogen atom are the possible values of energy that the atom can have. They are determined by the quantum numbers of the atom, which are related to the electron's position and energy. The lowest energy level is called the ground state and has the most negative energy, while the highest energy level is called the ionization state and has the most positive energy.

What is the significance of the energy levels in a hydrogen atom?

The energy levels of a hydrogen atom are significant because they determine the behavior and properties of the atom. The energy levels dictate the movement and interactions of the electrons, as well as the atom's ability to absorb or emit light at specific frequencies.

How does the energy level of a hydrogen atom change?

The energy level of a hydrogen atom can change when the atom absorbs or emits energy in the form of photons. When an electron jumps from a lower energy level to a higher one, the atom absorbs energy and becomes excited. Conversely, when an electron falls from a higher energy level to a lower one, the atom releases energy in the form of a photon and returns to a lower energy state.

What is the relationship between the energy levels of a hydrogen atom and its spectral lines?

The energy levels of a hydrogen atom directly correspond to its spectral lines, which are the specific wavelengths of light that the atom can absorb or emit. Each energy level has a unique set of spectral lines associated with it, and the energy difference between two levels determines the wavelength of light that will be absorbed or emitted.

How do the energy levels of a hydrogen atom relate to its electron configuration?

The energy levels of a hydrogen atom are related to its electron configuration, which is the arrangement of electrons in the atom's orbitals. Each energy level can hold a specific number of electrons, and the arrangement of these electrons in the different levels determines the atom's chemical properties and reactivity.