Using kepler's laws to find mass of planet

In summary, the moon orbits the planet in 30 days and moves at a distance of 370million meters from the center of the planet. To find the mass of the planet, you need to use an equation that was derived from Kepler's laws. You can either use P in days or years, A in meters, and M in solar masses. However, you can't seem to arrive at a correct answer using this equation. Maybe your equation is wrong. Thanks in advance for your help.
jhson114
There's a planet with a moon that orbits the plant in 30 days and moves at a distance of 370million meters from the center of the planet. i need to find the mass of the planet and I've used the following equation that was derived from the keplers laws: P = 2pi(a^(3/2))/(GM)^(1/2). P is the time it takes to or it and A is the average distnace from the planet. I've tried using P in days and years, and a in meters and AU. But i can't seem to arrive at a correct answer. maybe my equation is wrong? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
jhson114 said:
There's a planet with a moon that orbits the plant in 30 days and moves at a distance of 370million meters from the center of the planet. i need to find the mass of the planet and I've used the following equation that was derived from the keplers laws: P = 2pi(a^(3/2))/(GM)^(1/2). P is the time it takes to or it and A is the average distnace from the planet. I've tried using P in days and years, and a in meters and AU. But i can't seem to arrive at a correct answer. maybe my equation is wrong? thanks in advance.

If P is in years, M is in solar masses, and a is in AU, it's simply:

[tex]P^2=\frac{a^3}{M_p}[/tex]

For your version of the equation, you should use some other consistent set of units (like meters, kilograms, and seconds; or centimeters, grams, and seconds).

jhson114 said:

Your equation looks right. Do you know the mass of the moon? The mass in this equation is really the reduced mass of the planet moon combination.

If the orbit is elliptical, a is the semimajor axis of the ellipse. Since you are only given one distance from the planet, I assume you are supposed to be treating the obit as circular with a = 370million meters.

Edt
If reduced mass is relevant, then the distance would be to the center of mass, not to the other object, so this was not a helpful idea. I see you got it worked out now with a simpler calculation.

Last edited:
If you can assume the orbit is circular, and the planet's mass >> moon's mass, you could also re-write the formula for circular velocity:

velocity = sqrt(Gravitational Constant * Mass / radius)

into

M = v^2 r / G

G = gravitational constant = 6.673e-11
compute your velocity from your radius and your period (in seconds).

i don't know the mass of the moon and we are to assume that its a circular orbit. the equation P^2 = a^3/M doesn't seem right because i get a 2.24e-6 as mass. with my previous equation is it right to AU and Years for A and P and M is KG?

You got the right answer except for one thing. That way gives solar masses and not kilograms. The Sun is 1.98911e30 kg.

The method I gave you wants meters, seconds, and gives kilograms.

Try it both ways to see if you get approximately the same answer. You should.

jhson114 said:
i don't know the mass of the moon and we are to assume that its a circular orbit. the equation P^2 = a^3/M doesn't seem right because i get a 2.24e-6 as mass.

That's about the mass of the Earth in solar masses, so if you plug that in with the distance in AU, you'll get your period in years. If you use your equation, you need to put in, for example, the distance in meters and the mass in kilograms, you'll get out the period in seconds.

Sounds like you might need to brush up on your http://oakroadsystems.com/math/convert.htm .

Last edited by a moderator:
okay. i got it. i had all the units messed up. thanks guys :)

1. What are Kepler's laws?

Kepler's laws are three scientific principles that describe the motion and behavior of objects in our solar system. They were developed by Johannes Kepler in the 17th century and are fundamental to our understanding of planetary motion.

2. How do Kepler's laws help us find the mass of a planet?

Kepler's laws use mathematical equations to relate a planet's orbital period, distance from the sun, and other factors to its mass. By observing a planet's orbit, we can use these laws to calculate its mass.

3. What is the first law of Kepler?

The first law, also known as the law of ellipses, states that planets orbit the sun in elliptical paths with the sun at one focus. This means that a planet's distance from the sun is constantly changing as it moves along its orbit.

4. What does Kepler's second law tell us?

The second law, also known as the law of equal areas, states that a planet will sweep out equal areas in equal times as it moves along its elliptical orbit. This means that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

5. How does Kepler's third law help us find the mass of a planet?

The third law, also known as the law of harmonies, relates a planet's orbital period to its distance from the sun and the sun's mass. By using this law and observing a planet's orbital period and distance from the sun, we can calculate its mass.