Electric Potential and Electric Field Strength

In summary, one of the questions on the physics A-Level exam was about what statement was incorrect. The answer was that electric potential is zero whenever electric field strength is zero.
ylem
Hey!

I've got my A-Level Physics exam on Thursday, and I'm just doing some past papers and I'm totally confused! Please help!

One of the questions (multiple choice) was saying which statement was incorrect.

The answer was: Electric potential is zero whenever electric field strength is zero.

I don't get how that's wrong...?

(The whole fields part of the syllabus is my worst, which could explain why I'm totally confused! :uhh: )

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric Field is related to potential as:

[itex]E=- \frac{dV}{dR}[/itex]

E can only be zero if V is constant .

So what can be the possible condition as per above such that V is zero when E is zero? Is it possible? ..What are the possible conditions in which V can be zero?

Since electric field strength is a vector quantity, the E-field from two positive charges can cancel (if you test a point in space between them).

Potential is not a vector. THink of it more like "pressure." Between the two positive chages there is a potential contributed by both charges to that point in space. Sort of like if two people push on a balloon, one on each side,with equal force. TOtal force will cancel, but the pressure in the balloon builds up. (This analogy falls apart on so many levels, but it is a good start to recognizing how vectors and scalars add up differently).

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand... :confused:

OMG I think we will be sitting for the same exam>I am also totally confused with the past paper question related to electric potential.If i get my head round it i'll let you know

All theyre trying to say is that Electric field strength is a vector quantity and electric potential is a scalar quantity. Suppose you have an electric field strength of [itex]0Vm^{-1}[/itex] acting on a test charge by 2 charge particles of 1C and -1C. The electric potential in this case wouldn't be 0, it would be 2V.

Last edited:
That kinda makes sense! Wasn't on the exam though (which is good in a way I suppose) not that it matters 'cos I totally messed it up anyway! There was a question about discharge from a capacitor and I was in such a rush to get finished I didn't even use the equation thingy! Such a fool...! Gutted. :mad:

Oh yeh, in the example i gave, it shouldn't be 2V. You should plug the distance between the two charged particles and the charge into the electric potential equation. Somehow I can't edit my posts anymore.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential related to electric field strength?

Electric potential is directly proportional to electric field strength. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the electric potential also increases.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric field strength?

Electric potential measures the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric field strength measures the force per unit charge at the same point. In other words, electric potential is a scalar quantity while electric field strength is a vector quantity.

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge at a specific point. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the distance between the two points.

What is the unit of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C). This means that for every coulomb of charge, there is a force of N in the electric field.