Books on the field of Mech. Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the various topics covered in mechanical engineering and suggests some helpful books for beginners in the field. The topics mentioned include thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, structural engineering, mechanics of materials, corrosion, electro-mechanics, thermal-hydraulics, power conversion, and systems. The recommended books are "Mechanics" by JP Den Hartog, "Strength of Materials" by JP Den Hartog, "Dynamics of Physical Systems" by Robert Cannon, "Standard Handbook of Machine Design" by Joseph Shigley and Charles Mischke, "Machinery's Handbook", and "Mechanical Engineering Formulas Pocket Reference". The conversation also mentions the importance of having a good understanding of calculus and
dekoi
Are there books which could introduce me to the field of Mechanical Mngineering? or am I being too ambitious?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
may i know your background? perhaps i can help.

dekoi said:
Are there books which could introduce me to the field of Mechanical Mngineering? or am I being too ambitious?

Thank you.
The problem is that there are a variety of topics covered in mechanical engineering. One can do thermodynamics and heat transfer, fluid mechanics, structural engineering (statics and dynamics), mechanics of materials (related to materials science and engineering), corrosion (involves chemistry and materials), electro-mechanics (involves mechanics and electrical engineering). Then there are combinations, such as thermal-hydaulics or power conversion.

Structural engineering is sort of a hybrid of civil and mechanical engineering, and is recognized as a discipline in itself.

In what areas are you interested?

You can start with a book called Mechanics by JP Den Hartog. It's a Dover book and it run about $15. It's actually a very good book IMO and you'd be hardpressed to find a modern text that is better. Modern texts are printed on better paper and have more pictures but the concepts presented are the same and Hartog does a good job presenting the subject material. Hartog's mechanics covers statics and dynamics beginning with statics and then moving to the various approaches for dynamics.

The followon book in the series is called strength of materials and deals more with internal forces, moment balances, and a few other advanced 'mechanics' topics.

As Astronuc said there are different disciplines one must touch upon in order to become an ME.

One must touch on the topic of systems in order to become an ME. You have to know how a simple spring mass system will react to impulse forces or sinusoidal forces or step forces. A good book to help you on your way with understanding how simple systems operate and interact is called Dynamis of Physical Systems by Robert Cannon. Again, this too is a Dover book---My school used this book the first time I went through years and years ago and still uses it: it's a good book.

Thermo/fluid flow. Your on your own here. I hated thermo with a passion which is kind of odd because the transfer of heat from a hot rock into flowing water was what I did for six years.

Another topic central to becoming an ME is that of gear trains. Understanding how forces applied to a gear effect a system and which gear material to select and what gear shape to use and so on is very imortant. This subject falls under a category called machine design and includes 3,4, and 6 bar mechanism design, gear train, planetary gear systems, cam design, bearing design and selection, and a few other topics. Essentially one must learn how to find the forces acting on a machine and then determine if those forces will break the machine. I can't think of a single entry-level text that covers these topics off the top of my head unfortunetly. You could try the standard handbook of machine design by Joseph Shigley and Charles Mischke.

IMO you cannot be an ME without knowing how a lathe and mill work. The very best reference for this is Machinery's Handbook AKA the machine shop bible. This book has more information crammed inside than almost anyother book on the market IMO. There is a lot of very good information between the covers in this text.

A good little book to have around is: Mechanical Engineering Formulas Pocket Reference

Well, I've pratteled on long enough. Make sure you know your Calculus and Diff Eq before diving into these topics. Statics can be done with a minimal knowledge of Calc---simple derivatives and integrals, but dynamics requires that you understand a little bit of Diff Eq especially when first dealing with spring mass systems.

Have fun.

1. What are some popular books on the field of Mechanical Engineering?

There are several popular books on Mechanical Engineering, but some of the most highly recommended ones include "Mechanical Engineering: Principles and Practices" by Michael R. Lindeburg, "Introduction to Mechanical Engineering" by Jonathan Wickert and Kemper Lewis, and "Mechanical Engineering Design" by Joseph E. Shigley and Charles R. Mischke. These books cover various topics such as engineering principles, mechanics, and design, and are frequently used as textbooks in universities.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners or non-engineers interested in learning about Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, there are books available for beginners or non-engineers who want to learn about Mechanical Engineering. Some recommended titles include "The Way Things Work: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Technology" by David Macaulay, "Ingenious Mechanisms for Designers and Inventors" by Franklin D. Jones, and "The Mechanical Design Process" by David Ullman. These books provide a more general overview of mechanical engineering principles and concepts in an accessible and easy-to-understand manner.

3. Can you recommend any books on the history of Mechanical Engineering?

Some recommended books on the history of Mechanical Engineering include "The Evolution of Mechanical Engineering" by Hans W. Liepmann, "The History of Mechanical Engineering" by Bryan Bunch and Alexander Hellemans, and "Engineering in History" by Richard Shelton Kirby, Sidney Withington, and Arthur Burr. These books offer a comprehensive look at the development of mechanical engineering throughout history, from ancient civilizations to modern times.

4. Are there any books that focus on specific sub-fields of Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific sub-fields of Mechanical Engineering. Some examples include "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White, "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Çengel and Michael A. Boles, and "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. These books delve into more specialized topics within the field of Mechanical Engineering and are often used as textbooks for advanced courses.

5. Are there any books that include practical applications and real-world examples in Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, there are several books that include practical applications and real-world examples in Mechanical Engineering. Some recommended titles include "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by R.C. Hibbeler, "Machine Design" by Robert L. Norton, and "Mechanical Vibrations" by Singiresu S. Rao. These books not only cover theoretical concepts but also provide real-world examples and applications, making them useful for both students and professionals in the field of Mechanical Engineering.