Aurora Borealis Viewed From My Window

In summary, the conversation is about the aurora borealis and the different experiences and reactions to seeing it. The speakers discuss the weather conditions that make it difficult to see the aurora and the plans to build a large radio telescope to improve visibility. They also mention a person who was panicking about the aurora and mistaking it for a sign of God's return. The conversation ends with the mention of taking pictures of the aurora.
Gale
I can so totally see the aurora borealis from my window. I've never seen it before. It's so cool. I think I'm going to get my guitar and go outside and play... its cold, but i always play for the full moon, figure the lights are just as special.

Sooooo Cool...

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen it before from up north. Tis a beautiful thing.

All I got here is a giant red glow in the sky.

it is always cloudy down here, if it not cloudy it is misty, if it is not misty, my window is all condensed with water

ok well... the red glow is the lights...

Somehow my crazy (like honestly nutso) parents can see all sorts of colors and shapes. I can't... but still. I've never seen the AB before, so least now i can say i have.

Originally posted by Monique
it is always cloudy down here, if it not cloudy it is misty, if it is not misty, my window is all condensed with water
The very reason why there aren't any optic telescopes in the low lands.. but I heard last week that they are going to build the world's largest radio telescope right here in the Netherlands!

quote:

The very reason why there aren't any optic telescopes in the low lands.. but I heard last week that they are going to build the world's largest radio telescope right here in the Netherlands!

haha wow... i just find it really funny that you just quoted yourself... right well.. it wasn't that funny... but i laughed anyway...

Thats cool though... telescopes woo...

Originally posted by Gale17
haha wow... i just find it really funny that you just quoted yourself... right well.. it wasn't that funny... but i laughed anyway...
Keeps the conversation going, right? :wink:

Originally posted by Gale17

Thats cool though... telescopes woo...

Yeah, that was great, i thought it was funny too! man did i laugh... woo laugh...

Keeps the conversation going, right? :wink:

Hey, how about that... you're right!

Well, I just stepped out on break (hehehehe) a few minutes ago and noticed them for the first time.

Only, I didn't notice them. I noticed the guy running around in a panic acting like the sky was falling. I'm like, dude, what's wrong with you? He was telling me about god returning and we all had to repent, blah blah.

I tried calming him down to explain it was a result of yesterdays solar flare, but without much luck. I thought everyone knew about these things, but apparently not.

How ironic I come here and you've got a post about it.
_

Anyhow, I'm going to take another break before to long and go get my camera, hopefully try to catch a few good pics of it.

wow i wish i had seen some guy freaking out about it and yelling stuff about repenting...

Oh wait my parents... hmm... well seeing a stranger do it would have been more interesting.

1. What are the causes of Aurora Borealis?

The Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights, is caused by charged particles from the sun entering Earth's atmosphere and colliding with gas particles, such as oxygen and nitrogen.

2. Why is it only visible from certain locations?

Aurora Borealis is only visible from latitudes between 65 and 72 degrees north, which includes areas such as Alaska, Canada, and Scandinavia, because these regions are closest to the Earth's magnetic poles where the charged particles enter the atmosphere.

3. What colors can be seen in Aurora Borealis?

The most common colors seen in Aurora Borealis are green and pink, caused by collisions with oxygen molecules. However, other colors such as blue, purple, and red can also be seen depending on the altitude and atmospheric conditions.

4. How long does Aurora Borealis last?

The duration of Aurora Borealis varies from a few minutes to several hours, depending on the strength and intensity of the solar wind. On average, it can last for about 20-30 minutes, but some displays can last for hours.

5. Can you predict when Aurora Borealis will occur?

While it is difficult to predict exactly when Aurora Borealis will occur, scientists use data from satellites and solar wind monitoring stations to forecast possible sightings. However, it is still not a guaranteed event and can be influenced by other factors such as weather and light pollution.