Pseudo Real Group if anomaly free

In summary, you need to do algebra to calculate the anomaly and it is wholely contained in the symmetric part. This means that the group is anomaly free.
robousy
I am working a problem from the Mohapatra textbook unification and supersymmetry and the question is to show that if any rep of a grp is pseudo real then it is automatically anomaly free.

There is not much in the chapter (2) on how to go about this.

All I know is that for a pseudo real group G = G* (the conjugate is the same as the original group). The group is not real though. :yuck:

I've been searching the web and books for a couple of hours now to no avail so thought I'd leave the question here.

Physics news on Phys.org
May I suggest you post this question on the sci.physics.strings board, which you can access through the Strings Branes and LQG subforum. That board is visited by expert string theorists who are likely to have an answer for your question; they are very interested in anomaly cancelation. But they are not likely to visit this Particle Physics subforum.

ok, thanks!

Mmm, this is a bit of a technical question, you'll want to double check me (say with Weinberg vol 2).

But you basically listed the reason *why*, namely when the left handed fermion fields furnish reps that are equivalent to the complex conjugate rep. Eg the representation of the gauge algebra (take its complex conjugate) is related by a similarity transformation to itself

To see this, remember when you calculate the anomaly from the three point function, you can separate it into symmetric and antisymmetric parts by group index. The anomaly is wholely contained in the symmetric part of this, so you have to do a little bit of algebra (subbing in the similarity condition of the representation into the symmetric part) and you will come out with the required reality or pseudo reality to be anomaly free.

Note that some standard model groups will contain this gauge anomaly, so there you will have to look for cancellations to occur, or else you have an inconsistent theory. Its one of the miracles of SU(3)*SU(2)*U(1) that the required cancellations *do* occur (a deeper reason maybe is that this group is an rep of SO(10) which is by the above anomaly free)

Last edited:
Haelfix said:
To see this, remember when you calculate the anomaly from the three point function, you can separate it into symmetric and antisymmetric parts by group index. The anomaly is wholely contained in the symmetric part of this, so you have to do a little bit of algebra (subbing in the similarity condition of the representation into the symmetric part) and you will come out with the required reality or pseudo reality to be anomaly free.

Hey Haelfix. Thanks for your response. I'm still getting used to calculating the anomaly. I've done is so far using young tableux and I've also seen an equation in Mohapatras book that is related to the trace of generators.
Could you possibly give me a reference to the equation you are tallking about - ie regarding the 3 pt function. I have most QFT books - perhaps Weinberg vol 2?

Thanks again.

:smile:

1. What is a Pseudo Real Group?

A Pseudo Real Group is a mathematical concept used in the study of quantum mechanics. It is a type of symmetry group that describes the symmetries of a physical system, such as particles or atoms.

2. How is a Pseudo Real Group different from a Real Group?

A Pseudo Real Group differs from a Real Group in that it includes both real and imaginary elements, while a Real Group only includes real elements. This means that a Pseudo Real Group is more general and can describe a wider range of physical systems.

3. What does it mean for a Pseudo Real Group to be anomaly free?

An anomaly is a mathematical inconsistency that can arise in certain physical theories. An anomaly free Pseudo Real Group is one that does not have any such inconsistencies, making it a more reliable and accurate tool for describing physical systems.

4. How are Pseudo Real Groups used in physics?

Pseudo Real Groups are used in physics to study the symmetries of physical systems, which can help us understand their behavior and make predictions about their properties. They are especially useful in quantum mechanics, where symmetries play a crucial role.

5. What are some examples of Pseudo Real Groups in physics?

Some examples of Pseudo Real Groups used in physics include the Lorentz Group, which describes the symmetries of spacetime in special relativity, and the SU(3) Group, which is used in the study of quantum chromodynamics. These groups help us understand fundamental forces and particles in the universe.