Probability of birthdays shared in a group

In summary, the probability that any 2 people share a birthday in a group of 23 people can be calculated using the formula 1 - 365!/(342!365^23). This is because the individual events of one particular pair not sharing the same birthday are not independent, as there are overlaps in the events. The definition of independence states that two events are independent if P(Ei|Ej) = P(Ei) and P(Ej|Ei) = P(Ej), but in this case, it is easier to use common sense and recognize that the events of Tom and Dick, Tom and Harry, and Dick and Harry sharing a birthday are not independent.
IniquiTrance
In a group of 23 people, the probability that any 2 people share a birthday is:

1 - [tex]\frac{365!}{342!365^{23}}[/tex]

Why can't I just do the following?

[tex](23\mathbf{C}2)(\frac{1}{365})[/tex]

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IniquiTrance! :smile:

Do you mean 1 - 23C2/365 ?

because there are "overlaps" that you aren't subtracting …

the individual events (of one particular pair not sharing the same birthday) are not independent … eg the pairs Tom and Dick, Tom and Harry, and Dick and Harry, are not independent. :wink:

Hmm, I kind of see what you're saying...

But why is say P(Tom and Harry|Dick and Harry) different than P(Tom and Harry)?

Yes, the probabilities are the same, but the events are different. :wink:

Thanks for your response. I'm on the verge of uynderstanding it, can you think of any other way to explain it?

I thought the definition of independence is that [tex]E_{i}[/tex] and [tex]E_{j}[/tex] are independent events so long as [tex]P(E_{i}|E_{j}) = E_{i}[/tex]

and [tex]P(E_{j}|E_{i})= E_{j}[/tex]

A bit confused...

IniquiTrance said:
I thought the definition of independence is that [tex]E_{i}[/tex] and [tex]E_{j}[/tex] are independent events so long as [tex]P(E_{i}|E_{j}) = E_{i}[/tex]

and [tex]P(E_{j}|E_{i})= E_{j}[/tex]

I prefer to write it P(Ei and Ej) = P(Ei)P(Ej).

(because, that way, you can string more than two together)

But it's much easier just to use common-sense, and to say that the three events of Tom and Dick, Tom and Harry, and Dick and Harry, sharing (or not sharing) a birthday are obviously not independent. :smile:

I wrote something about this a while ago in my http://yabm.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/a-bunch-of-people-in-a-room/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the probability of two people sharing the same birthday in a group of 23?

The probability of two people sharing the same birthday in a group of 23 is approximately 50%. This is known as the "birthday paradox" or the "birthday problem".

2. How is the probability of shared birthdays calculated?

The probability of shared birthdays is calculated using the formula 1 - (365!/365^n)/365^n, where n is the number of people in the group. This formula takes into account all possible combinations of birthdays in a group.

3. Does the size of the group affect the probability of shared birthdays?

Yes, the size of the group has a significant impact on the probability of shared birthdays. As the group size increases, the probability of shared birthdays also increases.

4. Why is the probability of shared birthdays higher than expected?

The probability of shared birthdays is higher than expected due to the fact that there are only 365 days in a year, resulting in a limited number of possible birthdays. This leads to a higher chance of overlap in larger groups.

5. Can the probability of shared birthdays be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the probability of shared birthdays can be used in various real-life situations such as predicting the likelihood of two people in a group having the same birthday, or in statistical analysis of data related to birthdays.