Calculating the gaussian curvature of a surface

In summary: For example, the unit normal at the point cos(u)sin(v)X + sin(u)sin(v)Y+ cos(v)Z is simply the point (cos(u)sin(v), sin(u)sin(v), cos(v)).In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gaussian curvature for a new coordinate patch y(u,v) defined by y(u,v) = c x(u,v), where c is a constant. It is shown that K_y = 1/c^2 * K_x, using the formulas K = (ln-m^2)/(EG-F^2) and S is the shape operator. However, there is confusion regarding the factor of c in the calculation and it is concluded that the factor should be c
demonelite123
Let x(u,v) be a coordinate patch. Define a new patch by y(u, v) = c x (u, v) where c is a constant. Show that [itex] K_y = \frac {1}{c^2}K_x [/itex] where [itex] K_x [/itex] is the gaussian curvature calculated using x(u, v) and [itex] K_y [/itex] is the gaussian curvature calculated using y(u, v).

my book expects us to use the formulas [itex] K = \frac {ln-m^2}{EG-F^2} [/itex] where [itex] E = x_u \cdot x_u, F = x_u \cdot x_v, G = x_v \cdot x_v, l = S(x_v) \dot x_v, m = S(x_u)\cdot x_v, n = S(x_v)\cdot x_v [/itex].

where S is the shape operator.

i can see that [itex] y_u = c x_u [/itex] and [itex] y_{uu} = c x_{uu} [/itex]. so i tried calculating [itex] l = S(y_u) \cdot y_u = S(cx_u) \cdot x_u = c^2 S(x_u) \cdot x_u [/itex]. but a result from my book states that [itex] S(x_u) \cdot x_u = U \cdot x_{uu} [/itex] where U is the unit vector created by taking the cross product [itex] x_u \times x_v [/itex] and dividing by its length. when calculated this way, i get that [itex] U \cdot y_{uu} = c(U \cdot x_{uu}) = c(S(x_u) \cdot x_u)) [/itex]

but this seems contradictory since i got [itex] c^2 S(x_u) \cdot x_u [/itex] earlier and now i only get one factor of c even though the 2 are supposed to be equal. i am confused on what is going on here. help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the derivative of the unit normal with respect to the parameters is the same for both the patch,X and the patch, cX. So the factor is c not c^2. Does this seems right? I think it is clear from the Chain Rule. Intuitively the same deviation in the unit normal along a parameter curve in the surface cX(u,v) occurs along a curve that is c longer than the the corresponding curve in the surface, x(u,v).

Try this out for a sphere centered at the origin of 3 space.

1. What is the formula for calculating the gaussian curvature of a surface?

The formula for calculating the gaussian curvature of a surface is K = (LN - M^2)/(EG - F^2), where L, M, and N are coefficients of the second fundamental form, and E, F, and G are coefficients of the first fundamental form.

2. What is the significance of the gaussian curvature of a surface?

The gaussian curvature of a surface is a measure of the curvature at a given point on the surface. It is used to classify surfaces as either positively curved (spherical), negatively curved (hyperbolic), or flat (euclidean).

3. How does the gaussian curvature relate to the local geometry of a surface?

The gaussian curvature is directly related to the local geometry of a surface. It determines whether the surface is curved in a convex or concave manner at a given point, and can also indicate the presence of saddle points.

4. Can the gaussian curvature of a surface be negative?

Yes, the gaussian curvature of a surface can be negative. This indicates that the surface is negatively curved, like a saddle, and has a hyperbolic geometry.

5. How is the gaussian curvature of a surface used in real-world applications?

The gaussian curvature of a surface is used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, computer graphics, and engineering. It helps in understanding and analyzing the curvature of 3D surfaces, and is also used in the design and optimization of curved structures and objects.