Formulas to Calculate deflection/bending of Free-Standing Pipe

In summary: This value is a "constant" for this particular problem. In most of the beam deflection problems, constants are derived in a similar manner; however, each problem has its own B value. I suggest that you study the method of deriving the Bessel Function for this particular problem, which is fully described in the article.In summary, the conversation revolves around questions regarding the deflection of a free-standing pipe, with a focus on calculating maximum height, deflection, and force transfer. The formula for self-buckling is mentioned and clarified, with a constant value of 1.86635086 for B. The importance of studying the method of deriving the Bessel Function for each specific problem is
Soji
Hello Everyone,

I have several questions regarding the deflection of a free-standing pipe wherein Force is applied on top.

Appreciate any feedback that I can get.

Supposing I have the following Pipe Specifications:

OD: 7in
ID: 6in
Yield Strength: 80,000psi
Modulus of Elasticity: 30000000psi
Poisson’s Ratio: 0.3

Here are my questions:

1. How do we calculate the maximum height that the above mentioned size of pipe will freely stand (without any support or braces)?

2. Assuming that the above mentioned pipe has a length of 15feet and for the sake of argument can be placed vertically without any support (free-standing) but fixed at the bottom end. If we apply 10,000lbs of Force at the top end, how do we calculate the:

A. Amount of maximum deflection relative to the center line of the pipe
B. Location of the maximum deflection – Is this going to be halfway through the length of the pipe (@7.5feet)?

3. Supposing the above mentioned pipe 7in OD, 6in ID is placed concentrically inside another pipe. Let’s assume that the ID of the outer pipe is 8in (and assuming that the outer pipe is fully rigid). And supposing that on the 7in OD inner pipe, 20,000lbs of Force is applied on top of it. For the sake of argument let’ say that the deflection caused by the 20,000lbs of Force applied will exceed the annular clearance between the OD of the Inner Pipe and Outer Pipe. How do we then calculate the amount of Force effectively transferred by the inner pipe onto the fully rigid outer pipe?

Thanks,

Soji

Engineering news on Phys.org
Soji said:
Hello Everyone,

I have several questions regarding the deflection of a free-standing pipe wherein Force is applied on top.

Appreciate any feedback that I can get.

Supposing I have the following Pipe Specifications:

OD: 7in
ID: 6in
Yield Strength: 80,000psi
Modulus of Elasticity: 30000000psi
Poisson’s Ratio: 0.3

Here are my questions:

1. How do we calculate the maximum height that the above mentioned size of pipe will freely stand (without any support or braces)?

The answer to this question can be found in this article, under the "Self-buckling" section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

2. Assuming that the above mentioned pipe has a length of 15feet and for the sake of argument can be placed vertically without any support (free-standing) but fixed at the bottom end. If we apply 10,000lbs of Force at the top end, how do we calculate the:

A. Amount of maximum deflection relative to the center line of the pipe
B. Location of the maximum deflection – Is this going to be halfway through the length of the pipe (@7.5feet)?

As long as the load is applied concentrically with the axis of the pipe and the applied load is less than the critical buckling load, there should be no deflection in the pipe. (Note: I have not calculated the critical buckling load for the case you are describing.)

3. Supposing the above mentioned pipe 7in OD, 6in ID is placed concentrically inside another pipe. Let’s assume that the ID of the outer pipe is 8in (and assuming that the outer pipe is fully rigid). And supposing that on the 7in OD inner pipe, 20,000lbs of Force is applied on top of it. For the sake of argument let’ say that the deflection caused by the 20,000lbs of Force applied will exceed the annular clearance between the OD of the Inner Pipe and Outer Pipe. How do we then calculate the amount of Force effectively transferred by the inner pipe onto the fully rigid outer pipe?
Thanks,

Soji

The answer to Quest. 2 above applies, unless the inner pipe buckles for some reason. What is the ID of the 8 in pipe?

To be sure, the lateral deflection of any vertical column is a sign that failure and collapse may be imminent. Run away.

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
As long as the load is applied concentrically with the axis of the pipe and the applied load is less than the critical buckling load, there should be no deflection in the pipe. (Note: I have not calculated the critical buckling load for the case you are describing.)

Well, given that they were given poisson's ratio, I would imagine that the OP is asking what the delta-y and delta-x dimensions would be given the load at the top.

that's just standard stress/strain calculations, though the lateral elongation of a tube due to axial compression can sometimes be tricky when trying to reason out the equations.

Steam King – Thanks for the inputs.

Let me modify my first question.

1. Supposing that the 7in OD, 6in ID pipe has a material density of 490lbm/ft3, if it were to be fixed at the bottom end, how tall/high can this pipe rise without swaying/bending due to its own weight? What formula can I apply?

Thank you,

Soji

Soji said:
Steam King – Thanks for the inputs.

Let me modify my first question.

1. Supposing that the 7in OD, 6in ID pipe has a material density of 490lbm/ft3, if it were to be fixed at the bottom end, how tall/high can this pipe rise without swaying/bending due to its own weight? What formula can I apply?

Thank you,

Soji

This question was answered in Post #2. The formula is in the attached article mentioned there.

Steam King – Thanks for re-iterating where to find the formula for self-buckling. Appreciate it.

There’s a statement that followed the formula for Self-Buckling on the link you posted – “and B is the first zero of the Bessel function of the first kind of order -1/3, which is equal to 1.86635086...”

Just want to clarify on the formula:

h_critical=((9B^2)/4 EI/(ρgπr^2 ))^(1/3)

Can I simply apply the 1.86635086 value mentioned above as the for B on the above equation? Or it’s on a case-to-case basis. I’m not familiar with the Bessel function.

Thanks,

Shodji

Soji said:
Steam King – Thanks for re-iterating where to find the formula for self-buckling. Appreciate it.

There’s a statement that followed the formula for Self-Buckling on the link you posted – “and B is the first zero of the Bessel function of the first kind of order -1/3, which is equal to 1.86635086...”

Just want to clarify on the formula:

h_critical=((9B^2)/4 EI/(ρgπr^2 ))^(1/3)

Can I simply apply the 1.86635086 value mentioned above as the for B on the above equation? Or it’s on a case-to-case basis. I’m not familiar with the Bessel function.

Thanks,

Shodji

For a free-standing circular pipe, B = 1.86635086 in the equation for the critical height of the pipe. If you have a different type of free-standing structure, this equation may not apply: you would probably have to refer to a text on elastic stability or buckling to find a suitable method of analysis.

The classic reference for this the "Buckling Strength of Metal Structures" (1952) by F. Bleich, but it's long been out of print and copies are hard to come by.

http://structurae.net/persons/data/index.cfm?id=d009664

What is the formula for calculating the deflection/bending of a free-standing pipe?

The formula for calculating the deflection/bending of a free-standing pipe is: D = (5WL^4)/(384EI), where D is the maximum deflection in inches, W is the load in pounds per linear inch, L is the length of the pipe in inches, E is the modulus of elasticity (29,000,000 psi for steel), and I is the moment of inertia of the pipe cross-section in inches^4.

What factors influence the deflection/bending of a pipe?

The deflection/bending of a pipe is influenced by the load applied to the pipe, the length of the pipe, the material properties of the pipe (such as modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia), and the support conditions of the pipe (e.g. fixed or simply supported).

Can the formula for deflection/bending of a pipe be used for all types of pipes?

No, the formula for deflection/bending of a pipe is specific to free-standing pipes made of a linear elastic material, such as steel. Other types of pipes, such as non-linear or non-elastic materials, may require different formulas for calculating deflection/bending.

How accurate is the formula for calculating deflection/bending of a pipe?

The formula for calculating deflection/bending of a pipe is an approximation and may not account for all real-world factors, such as imperfections in the pipe or changes in material properties due to temperature or corrosion. It is important to use engineering judgement and consider other factors when using this formula.

Are there any limitations to using the formula for calculating deflection/bending of a pipe?

Yes, the formula for calculating deflection/bending of a pipe is only applicable to pipes that are subjected to uniform loads and have a constant cross-section. Pipes with varying cross-sections or non-uniform loads may require more complex formulas to accurately calculate deflection/bending.