Short-Channel Effect": Detailed Explanations in Books & Papers

In summary: I'm glad to help. Hi, could you tell the name and author of the book you uploaded?When you want to know about short-channel effects, a good place to start is device scaling.In your reading, you will find reasons for wanting to keep the same electric field in the oxide.From there, you can understand why Intel and people are always looking for exotic gate materials, like the presently-used Hafnium oxide.Good luck!
xhwubai
Which books or papers explain "short-channel effect" very clearly and detailedly?

Either books or papers are OK!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

xhwubai said:
Either books or papers are OK!

Thanks!

I copy a few pages in pdf, hope you can open it because I have problem shrinking down to small enough file. You might have to wait for a day for moderator to approve. Hope this will help.

Attachments

• Short channel.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 450

Thank you very much! Any more?

xhwubai said:
Thank you very much! Any more?

Not from me anymore! I study this for very short time. I thought it explained pretty well but what do I know, I am not specialized in this field, I just study it for my interest once few years back.

Look into GaAs FETs and other modern FETs theory, that is where short channel stuff is.

yungman said:
Not from me anymore! I study this for very short time. I thought it explained pretty well but what do I know, I am not specialized in this field, I just study it for my interest once few years back.

Look into GaAs FETs and other modern FETs theory, that is where short channel stuff is.

Thanks a lot! could you tell the name and author of the book you uploaded?

There is a classic text by Sze and Ng which will give you an overview of these things.

When you want to know about short-channel effects, a good place to start is device scaling.

Let's say, in a MOSFET, you want to scale a device, but keep the same electric field in the gate oxide. Well, to accomplish this, one has to decrease the channel doping, which in turn makes your source and drain depletion lengths longer, which is sort of the root of short channel effects.

In your reading, you will find reasons for wanting to keep the same electric field in the oxide. From there, you can understand why Intel and people are always looking for exotic gate materials, like the presently-used Hafnium oxide.

Good luck!

seang said:
There is a classic text by Sze and Ng which will give you an overview of these things.

When you want to know about short-channel effects, a good place to start is device scaling.

Let's say, in a MOSFET, you want to scale a device, but keep the same electric field in the gate oxide. Well, to accomplish this, one has to decrease the channel doping, which in turn makes your source and drain depletion lengths longer, which is sort of the root of short channel effects.

In your reading, you will find reasons for wanting to keep the same electric field in the oxide. From there, you can understand why Intel and people are always looking for exotic gate materials, like the presently-used Hafnium oxide.

Good luck!

Thanks a million!

1. What is the Short-Channel Effect (SCE)?

The Short-Channel Effect (SCE) is a phenomenon in semiconductor devices where the electrical characteristics of a device change as the channel length decreases. This effect is primarily seen in MOSFETs (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors) and can lead to performance degradation and reliability issues.

2. How does the Short-Channel Effect impact device performance?

The Short-Channel Effect can cause a decrease in the device's threshold voltage, which is the voltage required to turn the device on. It can also lead to an increase in subthreshold leakage current, which can negatively impact power consumption. Additionally, the SCE can cause variations in device parameters, making it challenging to control the device's behavior accurately.

3. What are the main causes of the Short-Channel Effect?

The Short-Channel Effect is primarily caused by the decrease in channel length in modern semiconductor devices. As devices become smaller and smaller, the channel length decreases, leading to a higher electric field in the channel. This high electric field can cause changes in the device's behavior, resulting in the SCE.

4. How can the Short-Channel Effect be mitigated?

There are several techniques used to mitigate the Short-Channel Effect in semiconductor devices. One common approach is to use a lightly doped drain (LDD) structure, which helps to reduce the electric field in the channel. Another method is to use a high-k dielectric material in the gate oxide, which can increase the device's threshold voltage. Additionally, device scaling and advanced device structures, such as FinFETs and nanowires, can also help to mitigate the SCE.

5. What are the implications of the Short-Channel Effect for future semiconductor devices?

The Short-Channel Effect is a significant challenge for the continued scaling of semiconductor devices. As devices become smaller, the SCE becomes more prominent, leading to performance and reliability issues. To overcome this challenge, researchers are continually looking for new materials, device structures, and design techniques to mitigate the SCE and push the limits of device scaling.