Find the "Oh-My-God Particle" - 1516 x Speed of Light Explained

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the article discusses the speed at which an object, specifically the oh-my-god particle, would travel to the center of the galaxy. It compares this speed to the fictional speed of a spaceship from the show Star Trek, and also takes into account relativistic effects. The article concludes that the oh-my-god particle would reach the center of the galaxy much faster than the spaceship, according to both the particle's clock and an individual who remained at the starting point. However, this comparison has been criticized as being an ineffective way of discussing relativity.
1MileCrash
SOMEONE linked to this article on a recent thread, and I've looked high and low for it but I can't find it..

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/ohmygodpart.html/

"At a velocity of 1516 c, traveling to the centre of the galaxy would take, as perceived by the life forms on board, a little more than 21 years."

I know they're making a comparison to sci-fi (which really grinds my hears but I won't go into that) but WHAT are they talking about?

At 1516 times the speed of light, the trip takes 21 years?? How did they perform that calculation? I'm so annoyed that this is in an actual science article.

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
SOMEONE linked to this article on a recent thread, and I've looked high and low for it but I can't find it..

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/ohmygodpart.html/

"At a velocity of 1516 c, traveling to the centre of the galaxy would take, as perceived by the life forms on board, a little more than 21 years."

I know they're making a comparison to sci-fi (which really grinds my hears but I won't go into that) but WHAT are they talking about?

At 1516 times the speed of light, the trip takes 21 years?? How did they perform that calculation? I'm so annoyed that this is in an actual science article.

Could it be that what was intended was .1516 ? Seems like an oddly precise number in any event. Maybe that's some round number of zillions of miles per hour or km/sec or something.
I'm too lazy to do the math.

phinds said:
Could it be that what was intended was .1516 ?

No,

"It is interesting to observe that a real particle, in our universe, subject to all the laws of physics we understand, is a rather better interstellar voyager than the best fielded in the 24th century by the United Federation of Planets. Their much-vaunted Galaxy Class starships are capable of speeds slightly in excess of Warp Factor 9, an apparent velocity of 1516 cochranes (or 1516 times the speed of light).[4] At a velocity of 1516 c, traveling to the centre of the galaxy would take, as perceived by the life forms on board, a little more than 21 years. By contrast, an observer on board the Oh-My-God particle would arrive at the nucleus of the Milky Way, according to his clock, just about 3 seconds after leaving Starbase Terra. That's more than 9,700,000 times faster than the starship. In the time the starship spends vacuum-whooshing and rumbling its way to the nearby star Aldebaran, the particle could travel to the edge of the visible universe."

:confused:

Note the use of "according to his clock" so time dilation comes into effect.

According to the article the 1516c figure refers to star trek (I think?) spaceship drives, and using wikipedia (d=24,900 ± 1,000 ly to centre of milky way) and obviously neglecting all relativistic effects I get a figure of 16.5y which is pretty close.

Zorba said:
Note the use of "according to his clock" so time dilation comes into effect.

According to the article the 1516c figure refers to star trek (I think?) spaceship drives, and using wikipedia (d=24,900 ± 1,000 ly to centre of milky way) and obviously neglecting all relativistic effects I get a figure of 16.5y which is pretty close.

So they are comparing the speed of the oh-my-god particle taking into account relativistic effects to the speed of a fictional spaceship without taking into account relativistic effects?

Whoever decided to throw that paragraph in there needs a swift kick in the jaw.

1MileCrash said:
So they are comparing the speed of the oh-my-god particle taking into account relativistic effects to the speed of a fictional spaceship without taking into account relativistic effects?

Whoever decided to throw that paragraph in there needs a swift kick in the jaw.

Seems like they are saying "In the fictional Star Trek TV show a ship could get to the centre of the galaxy in X time as measured by both the ship's crew and an individual who stayed at departure. IRL a near C object could get to the centre of the galaxy in <X time according to the object but 1000s of X as measured by an individual who stayed at departure"

Stupid way of discussing relativity.

1. What is the "Oh-My-God Particle" and why is it significant?

The "Oh-My-God Particle" is the nickname given to a high-energy cosmic ray particle that was detected by the University of Utah's Fly's Eye Detector in 1991. It was significant because it had an energy of 3.2 x 10^20 electron volts, which is about 40 million times more energetic than the particles produced by the Large Hadron Collider.

2. How did scientists discover the "Oh-My-God Particle"?

The "Oh-My-God Particle" was discovered by the Fly's Eye Detector, which was a group of telescopes located in Utah. The telescopes detected the particle as it entered Earth's atmosphere and produced a shower of particles that were then detected by the telescopes.

3. How fast is the "Oh-My-God Particle" traveling?

The "Oh-My-God Particle" was traveling at an astonishing speed of 1516 times the speed of light, which is equivalent to about 99.99999999999999999999951% of the speed of light.

4. How is the speed of the "Oh-My-God Particle" possible?

The speed of the "Oh-My-God Particle" is possible due to its extremely high energy. Einstein's theory of relativity states that as an object's energy increases, its mass also increases, and as a result, it takes more energy to accelerate it. The "Oh-My-God Particle" had such a high energy that it was able to reach such incredible speeds.

5. What can we learn from studying the "Oh-My-God Particle"?

The "Oh-My-God Particle" has provided scientists with valuable information about the universe, such as the existence of high-energy cosmic rays and the presence of extremely powerful sources of energy in the universe. It also challenges our current understanding of physics and the limits of the laws of nature.