Blood Temperature: Normal & High Fever

In summary, the normal temperature of human blood flow through coronary artery is 37°. When a person is suffering from very high fever, their body temperature can reach 40° or higher. The specific heat capacity of blood is similar to water, and the human body is roughly at constant pressure. The value of thermal expansion coefficient of blood is around 2*10-4/K at 20°C as volume expansion. This information is not usually relevant in medical contexts, as temperature differences in the body are typically below 5K and therefore the expansion is minimal.
kmgraju
Dear friends

I would like to know what is the normal temperature of human blood flow through coronary artery?

What is the temperature of the blood when the person suffering from very high feverish condition?

Regards

kmgraju

Biology news on Phys.org
Dear friend

What is temperature of the blood when the person is suffering from very high fever.

What is specific heat capacity of the blood? is it constant pressure or constant volume?
Please clarify

Thanks in advance

Regards

Govind

Hi.
Normal body temperature is 37°. Anything more than a degree above that is dangerous for an adult. Children regularly hit 40° without distress (I hit close to 42° with scarlet fever, but the lower measure applied during my bouts with red measles, german measles, mumps on the left, mumps on the right, chicken pox, and several varieties of influenza.) The last instance of that was in 1964.
I don't have a clue as to what you mean about "heat capacity" of blood. That is not a medical term that I've ever heard of. Do you mean when it boils, or when the oxygen bonded to the haemoglobin decides to seek a new home, or what...?

edit: That was wrong. I just remembered that I caught the "right mumps" in '66. My mother warned me, as she had during my to-do with the left mumps, that I would be rendered sterile if I tried to get out of bed. If any of you have a mother like that, ignore her.

Last edited:
The specific heat capacity of blood is similar to water, about 4J/(gK). In fact, treating the whole body as a big blob of water is a good approximation - with 80kg, this corresponds to about 320kJ/K.
The human body is roughly at constant pressure, but that is not relevant here.

Actually blood temperature is a couple degrees celsius warmer, so not the typical 37 C. It varies from 2 - 3

Dear friend
What is the value of thermal expansion coefficient of blood

Thank you

kmgraju

That should be very similar to water, too.
~2*10-4/K at 20°C as volume expansion.

mfb said:
That should be very similar to water, too.
~2*10-4/K at 20°C as volume expansion.

Thank you
very much
I need some reference material to argue my data

Thank you

Regards

I would be surprised if thermal expansion of blood is relevant anywhere. Temperature differences are below 5K (otherwise they are lethal), so expansion is below 0.1% or ~5ml for 5l of blood.

1. What is considered a normal blood temperature?

The normal blood temperature for a healthy adult is typically between 97.8°F (36.5°C) and 99°F (37.2°C). However, this can vary slightly depending on individual factors such as age and time of day.

2. What causes a high fever?

A high fever, also known as hyperthermia, is usually caused by an infection or illness. This can include viral or bacterial infections, as well as other conditions such as autoimmune disorders or certain medications.

3. How is blood temperature regulated?

The body has a natural mechanism for regulating blood temperature, known as thermoregulation. This involves the brain, nervous system, and hormones working together to maintain a stable body temperature. When the body detects a change in temperature, it will initiate responses such as shivering or sweating to adjust accordingly.

4. What are the potential risks of having a high fever?

A high fever can put stress on the body and lead to complications such as dehydration, seizures, and in severe cases, organ damage. It can also be a sign of a serious underlying condition and should be monitored and treated by a medical professional.

5. How is a high fever treated?

Treatment for a high fever usually involves addressing the underlying cause. This can include taking over-the-counter fever-reducing medications, staying hydrated, and resting. In some cases, antibiotics or other medications may be prescribed to treat the underlying infection or illness causing the fever.