Max. concentration of radioactive particles in water

In summary, the conversation discusses the methods for determining the maximum concentration of Cs-137 and Sr-90 in water. These methods include using a gamma spectrometer and comparing to a calibration standard, or using an inductively coupled plasma emission test to determine the amount of Cs and/or Sr. The conversation also mentions the potential of using a solubility constant for CsOH or Sr(OH)2, but notes that factors such as the type of water and the presence of other compounds may affect the results. It is also mentioned that Cs is highly soluble in seawater.
winnie_t
Hi,

does anyone know how I can find out the max. concentration of Cs-137 and Sr-90 in water?

Engineering news on Phys.org
winnie_t said:
Hi,

does anyone know how I can find out the max. concentration of Cs-137 and Sr-90 in water?
One could use a gamma spectrometer to measure the activity of a sample, then compare to a prepared calibration standard. Or one could take a sample, remove the water, measure the mass of the precipitate and the activity, and perhaps used an inductively coupled plasma (ICP) emission test to determine the amount of Cs and/or Sr.

Astronuc said:
One could use a gamma spectrometer to measure the activity of a sample, then compare to a prepared calibration standard. Or one could take a sample, remove the water, measure the mass of the precipitate and the activity, and perhaps used an inductively coupled plasma (ICP) emission test to determine the amount of Cs and/or Sr.

but wouldn't there be a standard max. concentration at which point no more Cs or Sr can dissolve in water? Is this not some data I can find rather to calculate if I don't have to opportunity for an experiment?

winnie_t said:
but wouldn't there be a standard max. concentration at which point no more Cs or Sr can dissolve in water?

Depends on salt. Example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CsCl
"Solubility in water 1865 g/L"

(you could find it yourself).

You asked "does anyone know how I can find out the max. concentration of Cs-137 and Sr-90 in water?" - IOW, you asked specifically about Cs-137, not caesium in general.

Long before a salt solution with Cs-137 (say CsCl) start approaching saturation, it will be radiating millions of rem/h of gamma.

nikkkom said:
Depends on salt. Example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CsCl
"Solubility in water 1865 g/L"

(you could find it yourself).

You asked "does anyone know how I can find out the max. concentration of Cs-137 and Sr-90 in water?" - IOW, you asked specifically about Cs-137, not caesium in general.

Long before a salt solution with Cs-137 (say CsCl) start approaching saturation, it will be radiating millions of rem/h of gamma.

Thanks nikkkom, I've completely missed out that its the salt dissolving in water rather than the isotope itself.

winnie_t said:
but wouldn't there be a standard max. concentration at which point no more Cs or Sr can dissolve in water? Is this not some data I can find rather to calculate if I don't have to opportunity for an experiment?
Well is this about dissolved or particles. Assuming it's of elemental origin, one would probably use the solubility constant for CsOH or Sr(OH)2. But then is one referring to seawater or freshwater, and there could be other compounds that enhance or hinder solution. Also, Cs and Sr are likely deposited on dust or other solid material.

According to this article, Cs is highly soluble in seawater.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/03/26/1120794109.full.pdf

1. What is the maximum concentration of radioactive particles allowed in water for safe consumption?

The maximum concentration of radioactive particles allowed in drinking water varies depending on the specific type of radioactive particle. However, the maximum acceptable concentration for all types of radioactive particles is set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at 4 millirems per year.

2. How is the maximum concentration of radioactive particles in water measured?

The maximum concentration of radioactive particles in water is typically measured in units of pCi/L (picocuries per liter) or Bq/L (becquerels per liter). This measurement is determined through laboratory testing using specialized equipment.

3. What factors can affect the maximum concentration of radioactive particles in water?

The maximum concentration of radioactive particles in water can be affected by various factors such as the type of radioactive particle, the source of contamination, the volume of water, and the type of water treatment used. Environmental factors such as rainfall, flooding, and erosion can also impact the concentration of radioactive particles in water.

4. What are the potential health risks associated with consuming water with high levels of radioactive particles?

Exposure to high levels of radioactive particles in drinking water can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as leukemia and bone cancer. It can also cause other health issues such as damage to the thyroid gland and genetic mutations.

5. How can the maximum concentration of radioactive particles in water be reduced?

The most effective way to reduce the maximum concentration of radioactive particles in water is through proper water treatment processes, such as filtration and ion exchange. Additionally, preventing contamination at the source, such as properly disposing of nuclear waste, can also help reduce the concentration of radioactive particles in water.