Determining the force and moment

In summary, the force and moment about the cantilevered support is determined by a FBD and Mohr's Circle.
karthik m
for a cantilever beam with a point load and a moment as shown in the fig.how do we calculate the force and moment,During loading the applied moment, M, remains proportional to P, such that M=10P. yield strength, young's modulus are given.

calculated Y and I for the the I section, and with yield strength σ found M (maximum bending moment). since the maximum BM is at the fixed end for a cantilever ,equated this to the other moments to find P and M ...it would be of great help if someone could help.

Attachments

• moment.JPG
    moment.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
karthik m said:
for a cantilever beam with a point load and a moment as shown in the fig.how do we calculate the force and moment,During loading the applied moment, M, remains proportional to P, such that M=10P. yield strength, young's modulus are given.

calculated Y and I for the the I section, and with yield strength σ found M (maximum bending moment). since the maximum BM is at the fixed end for a cantilever ,equated this to the other moments to find P and M ...it would be of great help if someone could help.

First, do a FBD, then do a ƩF=0 and a ƩM=0 about the support to determine the loads and moments about the cantilevered support. Using the bending stress equation σ=Mc/I, we expect the greatest stress on the top and bottom of the beam at the support. From here, you can use Mohr's Circle to determine what the maximum stress at this point is.

I'll have to grab my old mechanics of materials textbook to verify all this, but that should be a pretty good start for you.

You need a free body diagram to see what's going on. You should have reactions in the x and y direction and a moment. Equations of equilibrium will give you what you're looking for. That should help point you in the right direction

well to draw a FBD the forces and moments are not specified...

if i do sigmaF=0 i''ll get constants i.e P and M...

Well some design criteria is then needed. Is the beam loaded to yield or to ultimate? Otherwise, yeah you'll just get constants for M and P

yes exactly it is loaded to yield...

OK. If its yield strength is the criteria, then set σ=yield strength for the beam material.

Then, σ=Mc/I will yield the moment about the cantilevered support. This moment

Msupport = (P x Beam Length) + M

Since M is 10 times the Magnitude of P,

You now have 2 equations with 2 unknowns.

You can solve for M and P.

well actually i tried this in some other way it did not work(took p= aσ and got m... ) now it all makes sense ... i owe you something more than thanks ...helping others is not so easy ...please continue ...

1. What is force and moment?

Force is a vector quantity that describes the interaction between two objects, while moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force.

2. How do you determine the force acting on an object?

To determine the force acting on an object, you need to know its mass and acceleration. The force is calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the difference between force and moment?

The main difference between force and moment is that force is a linear quantity, while moment is a rotational quantity. Force is applied in a straight line, while moment is applied at a distance from the point of rotation.

4. How do you measure moment?

Moment is measured in units of Newton-meters (N*m) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation. The direction of the moment is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of rotation.

5. Why is it important to determine the force and moment in a system?

Determining the force and moment in a system is important for understanding the balance of forces and the resulting motion or stability of the system. It allows scientists to predict the behavior of objects and design structures that can withstand the forces acting on them.