Finite sum formula for tangent (trigonometry)

In summary, the conversation was about trying to find the finite sum formula for trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. The speaker had searched online and in textbooks but had not found a solution. Another person had checked a reference book but also found nothing for the tangent formula. A potential solution was suggested using the q-digamma function, but it was more complicated and beyond the speaker's current level of understanding. Overall, the conversation ended with the speaker expressing gratitude for the help and acknowledging the need to continue learning in order to understand the topic better.
Vahsek
Hi everyone, I've been looking for the finite sum formulae of trig functions. I've found the easiest ones (sine and cosine). But the one for the tangent seems to be very hard. No mathematical tricks work. Plus I've looked it up on the internet. Nothing. I will greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

tan x + tan (2x) + tan (3x) + ... + tan (nx) = ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Vahsek said:
Hi everyone, I've been looking for the finite sum formulae of trig functions. I've found the easiest ones (sine and cosine). But the one for the tangent seems to be very hard. No mathematical tricks work. Plus I've looked it up on the internet. Nothing. I will greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

tan x + tan (2x) + tan (3x) + ... + tan (nx) = ?

My guess: You are out of luck. I checked Gradshteyn & Ryzhik. They have the sums for sin and cos, as well as sinh and cosh, but nothing for tan.

mathman said:
My guess: You are out of luck. I checked Gradshteyn & Ryzhik. They have the sums for sin and cos, as well as sinh and cosh, but nothing for tan.

:cry: ok, thanks for your consideration though. I'll wait a bit more; maybe someone's got a way to do it.

I found in a textbook that [itex]tan(x)[/itex] can be written as an indefinite sum:

[itex]\sum_x \tan ax = i x-\frac1a \psi _{e^{2 i a}}\left(x-\frac{\pi }{2 a}\right) + C \,,\,\,a\ne \frac{n\pi}2[/itex] where [itex]\psi_q(x)[/itex] is the q-digamma function.

Computing "sum k from 1 to n of tan(k*x)" in WolframAlpha results into something much more complicated, but an answer is given.

h6ss said:
I found in a textbook that [itex]tan(x)[/itex] can be written as an indefinite sum:

[itex]\sum_x \tan ax = i x-\frac1a \psi _{e^{2 i a}}\left(x-\frac{\pi }{2 a}\right) + C \,,\,\,a\ne \frac{n\pi}2[/itex] where [itex]\psi_q(x)[/itex] is the q-digamma function.

Computing "sum k from 1 to n of tan(k*x)" in WolframAlpha results into something much more complicated, but an answer is given.

Wow. I had no idea it was that complicated. I'm in high school right now. These functions in real/complex analysis is way beyond me. Anyway, thank you everyone though. At least now I know which direction I must be heading to learn more about it.

1. What is the finite sum formula for tangent?

The finite sum formula for tangent is given by tan(x) = (sin(x))/(cos(x)).

2. How is the finite sum formula for tangent derived?

The finite sum formula for tangent can be derived by dividing the sum formula for sine by the sum formula for cosine, and simplifying the resulting expression.

3. What is the purpose of the finite sum formula for tangent?

The finite sum formula for tangent is used to calculate the exact value of tangent for any given angle, without having to use a calculator or trigonometric tables.

4. Can the finite sum formula for tangent be used for all angles?

Yes, the finite sum formula for tangent can be used for all angles, including acute, right, and obtuse angles.

5. How is the finite sum formula for tangent different from the infinite sum formula?

The finite sum formula for tangent is a simplified version of the infinite sum formula, where the number of terms is limited to a finite number. The infinite sum formula takes into account all possible terms, resulting in a more accurate value for tangent.