Orbital period of eclipsing binaries

In summary, based on the data in the table I want to calculate the orbital period of the eclipsing binary but I want to state my answer in equation form so that any observer can predict the times of future eclipses. Does anyone have an idea on how I go about doing that with the given data. I tried to find a standard equation that I can essentially plug my HJDs into express the period of eclipsing binary. Any ideas would be great. thanks.
Sastronaut
based on the data in the table I want to calculate the orbital period of the eclipsing binary but I want to state my answer in equation form so that any observer can predict the times of future eclipses. Does anyone have an idea on how I go about doing that with the given data. I tried to find a standard equation that I can essentially plug my HJDs into express the period of eclipsing binary. Any ideas would be great. thanks pf.

Attachments

• WXFVDVMAMCADPV0y0P3bTQQ1 (1).jpg
    WXFVDVMAMCADPV0y0P3bTQQ1 (1).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 421
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That doesn't look periodic, unless most (like >90%) eclipses are missing for some reason.

As type of the equation, you are probably looking for something like ##t=T_0 + kT## with an offset T0, a period T and an integer k (numbering the eclipses).

the data I was given is ment to be practice for myself so that when I am presented with the full data I will be able to process it. could you show me how to plug my HJD into the equation? what does offset mean as far as my data goes? and if T stands for period what does "t" stand for?

mfb said:
That doesn't look periodic, unless most (like >90%) eclipses are missing for some reason.

As type of the equation, you are probably looking for something like ##t=T_0 + kT## with an offset T0, a period T and an integer k (numbering the eclipses).

okay I read a some stuff online and I understand what you saying. the data I was given is spotty and that was intentional. how can I determine T if I do not know my K value given my offset value (To) equals my secondary minimum 48869.627?

Calculate the time differences, look for something similar to a largest common divisor (not exact, but approximately).
Alternatively, try a Fourier transformation, it might give some interesting results.

If a period T fits, periods T/3, T/5 and so on fit as well - there is no way to resolve that ambiguity, but T is more likely (otherwise you have a very special set of observations).

I never thought to use Fourier transformation for it...though to be honest that maybe over thinking the problem...I feel that the answer is in front of me I just can't figure it out. I calculated differences in HJDs to see what was the lowest value I could get from the difference moving down the list secondary minimum to secondary minimum. I determined that the lowest orbital period I could get with doing this is 40.913HJD which was calculated by subtracting (49899.744-49858.831)HJD. But I agree with you 100%. there is no way to resolve that ambiguity so I am not sure how I will know that the period I calculated is the correct one, and not some multiple of the true period.

1. What is the orbital period of eclipsing binaries?

The orbital period of eclipsing binaries refers to the time it takes for two stars in a binary system to complete one full orbit around their center of mass.

2. How is the orbital period of eclipsing binaries calculated?

The orbital period can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. Can the orbital period of eclipsing binaries change over time?

Yes, the orbital period of eclipsing binaries can change over time due to factors such as mass transfer between the two stars or gravitational interactions with other objects in the system.

4. What can the orbital period of eclipsing binaries tell us about the stars?

The orbital period can provide information about the masses and sizes of the two stars in the binary system, as well as their distance from each other and their overall stability.

5. How is the orbital period of eclipsing binaries used in astronomy research?

The orbital period of eclipsing binaries is used to study various aspects of stellar evolution, such as the formation and evolution of binary systems, the properties of individual stars, and the composition and structure of the universe.