World vote: Democrat vs Republican U. S. President

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the world would yield a plebiscite with a ratio of 50% for each of the two major U.S. political parties--Democrat and Republican--if the question were posed to the world. The world would not have our best interest in mind, in fact they might choose to pick a poor candidate in order to benefit theirselves and our loss. This may suggest a need for education and prosperity in effective democratic elections in order to garner support from a majority of people.

How would the world vote in a 2-way U. S. presidential race?

• 90-100% Republican

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80-90% Republican

• 70-80% Republican

• 60-70% Republican

• 50-60% Republican

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 50-60% Democratic

• 60-70% Democratic

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 70-80% Democratic

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 80-90% Democratic

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 90-100% Democratic

• Total voters
Loren Booda
What ratio, from voting between U. S. Democratic and Republican presidential candidates, would a world plebiscite yield?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm...since most human beings support the principles that Democrats promote, that should be an easy question to answer, shouldn't it?

interesting you should mention this zero...isn't america more of a republic then a democracy? definitions of each (according to dictionary.com):

republic

A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern times is usually a president.
A nation that has such a political order.

A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them.
A nation that has such a political order.

democracy:

Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
A political or social unit that has such a government.
The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
Majority rule.
The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

i also found this adjective in my 1972 webster's dictionary:

Democratic-Republican:

of our relating to a major American political party of the early 19th century favoring a strict interpretation of the constitution
to restrict the powers of the federal government and emphasizing states's rights

this sounds like a good plan for the majority of americans...

Originally posted by Loren Booda
What ratio, from voting between U. S. Democratic and Republican presidential candidates, would a world plebiscite yield?

How is the rest of the world supposed to know what these parties policies are? How could they? Half the world seems to think all the US politicians are evil anyway and most of the rest don't give a damn!

The ratio that the world would vote really has little bearing on which candidate is the best canditate for the United States. The world would not have our best interest in mind, in fact they might choose to pick a poor candidate in order to benefit theirselves and our loss.
So, with that in mind...what's your point?

kat,

I wanted to compare simply the political spectrum worldwide to that of an alienating United States. Might these results (with abstentions) show some need for a minimum of education and prosperity in an effective democratic election? Also, are not our decisions often a loss for the rest of our planet, and eventually our country?

I put 60-70% because I don't think the world is as solidly leftist as many do.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
I put 60-70% because I don't think the world is as solidly leftist as many do.
The term 'leftist' is misleading. The Democratic Party is centrist, and the Republican party is heavily right-wing. Most people are centrist.

I'll say 50% each, since most people can't tell the difference.

kat,

I wanted to compare simply the political spectrum worldwide to that of an alienating United States. Might these results (with abstentions) show some need for a minimum of education and prosperity in an effective democratic election? Also, are not our decisions often a loss for the rest of our planet, and eventually our country?

Well..I don't know..I certainly could see a majority supporting a Democratic President today, but on the other hand were the President to have direct influence on the laws of their country..how strongly would states that condemn homosexuality and do not uphold women's rights,and/or religiously oppressive countries support a president who would support those freedoms?

Last edited:
80-90% democratic. Less if Bush is not the Republican candidate.

Get rid of Bush and the Republicans would definately win.

Keep Bush and the Republicans won't get a vote (and this I say as not one person I know likes Bush!)

1. What is the difference between a Democrat and a Republican?

Democrats and Republicans are the two major political parties in the United States. The main difference between them lies in their ideologies and beliefs. Democrats tend to be more liberal, promoting social and economic equality, while Republicans tend to be more conservative, promoting individual liberties and limited government intervention.

2. How does the voting system work in the U.S. for the presidential election?

The U.S. voting system follows a winner-takes-all approach, meaning the candidate with the most votes in a state wins all of that state's electoral college votes. The electoral college is made up of 538 electors, with each state being allocated a certain number of electors based on its population. The candidate who receives at least 270 electoral votes wins the presidency.

3. Can a Democrat or Republican win the presidential election without winning the popular vote?

Yes, it is possible for a candidate to win the presidency without winning the popular vote. This has happened five times in U.S. history, most recently in the 2016 election where Republican candidate Donald Trump won the presidency despite receiving fewer popular votes than his opponent, Democrat Hillary Clinton. This is due to the winner-takes-all approach of the electoral college system.

4. How does a third-party candidate affect the outcome of the presidential election?

A third-party candidate can potentially affect the outcome of the presidential election by taking votes away from one of the major party candidates. However, it is difficult for a third-party candidate to win the presidency as they often struggle to gain enough support and electoral votes. In some cases, a third-party candidate may act as a "spoiler" and cause one of the major party candidates to lose.

5. Is there a correlation between a state's political leaning and its voting history?

There is a general correlation between a state's political leaning and its voting history, meaning that states that have historically voted for a certain party tend to continue doing so in future elections. However, this is not always the case as there are swing states that can go either way in an election. Additionally, the political climate and issues at the time of the election can also influence a state's voting outcome.