Engineering major and Nanotechnology

In summary, the future of nanotechnology looks promising and there are a few different paths that one can take to pursue a career in this field. Physics and biochemistry seem to be the most relevant fields, with some overlap into chemical and electrical engineering. There are also specialized programs available, such as the one offered by University College London.
Leon W Zhang
Hi,
I am a freshmen engineering student. I want to be a professional engineering in Nanotechnology field. What kind of engineering do I have to pursue for this technology? And what do you think of the future of this technology?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leon W Zhang said:
Hi,
I am a freshmen engineering student. I want to be a professional engineering in Nanotechnology field. What kind of engineering do I have to pursue for this technology? And what do you think of the future of this technology?

At the current point I would suggest going into Physics, not engineering if you want to do nanotech. You would also have to do a biochem minor probably (or something along those lines). We have a nanotech lab here on campus and all the people there are Physics majors with a large number of chemistry and biochem courses (i actually considered working there at one point, its fascinating stuff, but i had little interest in taking all that biochem, so i went with astrophysics instead). Most research in Nanotech is into gudied self-assembly, how to get nanostructures to assemble themselves by specifically structuring them to do it. I suppose Chemical Engineering might be relevant, but I really think physics would be better.

If you would consider going abroad, the dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at University College London are offering a 4 year Masters of Engineering program in Nanotechnology tentatively going live in 2006. Though I would imagine that's less "pure science" and more toward a nanotechnology in electronics approach.

What is an engineering major?

An engineering major is a field of study focused on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and analyze structures, machines, and systems. It involves the use of problem-solving skills to address real-world challenges and improve existing technologies.

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a field of science and engineering that involves the manipulation of matter at the nanoscale, which is 1 to 100 nanometers in size. It involves the use of specialized tools and techniques to create, study, and utilize materials and devices at the atomic and molecular level.

What are the benefits of studying engineering and nanotechnology?

Studying engineering and nanotechnology can lead to a wide range of benefits, including the development of new and innovative technologies, improved efficiency and sustainability, and potential advancements in fields such as medicine, energy, and electronics. It also opens up opportunities for careers in various industries and research fields.

What are some common courses in an engineering major with a focus on nanotechnology?

Common courses in an engineering major with a focus on nanotechnology include nanomaterials, nanoelectronics, nanofabrication, nanomechanics, and nanobiotechnology. These courses cover topics such as the properties and applications of nanomaterials, the design and fabrication of nanoscale devices, and the integration of nanotechnology with other engineering disciplines.

What skills are needed to succeed in an engineering major and nanotechnology?

To succeed in an engineering major and nanotechnology, one needs to have strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work well in a team are also important. Strong background knowledge in math, physics, and chemistry is also necessary, as well as proficiency in using specialized software and equipment for nanoscale research and design.