Numerical Methods Book for Groundwater Modeling & Environmental Engineering

In summary, a geology major interested in groundwater modeling is currently taking ordinary differential equations and plans to take a course in computational numerical methods for engineers. The course will cover numerical methods for environmental engineering analysis, design, and resource management using the Fortran 95 programming language. The student is looking for a good book on numerical methods and is considering using Numerical Recipes in C, which is available online for free. However, the online version does not include the source code, so the student is also looking for a resource to access the code. They also mention a course on numerical analysis in Guam, which covers file reading, matrix calculations, and solving simple differential equations using techniques like Newton and Runge-Kutta.
Zem
I am a geology major interested in groundwater modeling. Currently taking ordinary differential equations, and I'll be in a computational numerical methods course for engineers next fall. Here is the course description..

"Introduction to numerical methods for environmental engineering analysis, design and resource management using the Fortran 95 programming language."

I know Fortran, so I think the next thing I need is to learn numerical methods. Some of the material for this course involves error analysis with bounds, and the Runge-Kutta method.

Does anyone know of a good book that would introduce me to numerical methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
Numerical Recipes in C is available online in its entirety here:

http://www.nr.com

- Warren

Current books only re-use methods of classics'. School library would be my choice if I were you.

Last edited:
I'd like to get the text for the class from the library, but it's checked out. Nr.com is awesome, exactly what I think I need. Thanks!

Those online versions of NR don't have the source code with them though - is there a resource for this on the net, or would that break copyright...

Numerical analysis in Guam is for 3th year students. very simple on file reading, into matrix, calculate average, solve simple differnteal equation (dy=x^2dx), Newton/RKutta.

So reading thatlinks is enough understan calculating

Last edited:
we are teached topology, and number theory, then progam with number theory.

1. What is the purpose of a numerical methods book for groundwater modeling and environmental engineering?

A numerical methods book for groundwater modeling and environmental engineering is designed to provide a comprehensive guide for using numerical methods and techniques in the field of groundwater modeling and environmental engineering. It aims to help scientists, engineers, and students understand and apply numerical methods to solve complex problems in these fields.

2. What topics are typically covered in a numerical methods book for groundwater modeling and environmental engineering?

The topics covered in a numerical methods book for groundwater modeling and environmental engineering may include fundamentals of numerical methods, groundwater flow equations, transport processes, numerical modeling techniques, applications of numerical methods in environmental engineering, and case studies.

3. Are there any prerequisites for understanding a numerical methods book for groundwater modeling and environmental engineering?

Yes, some basic knowledge of calculus, differential equations, and programming languages (such as MATLAB or Python) is recommended for understanding a numerical methods book for groundwater modeling and environmental engineering. Some books may also assume a basic understanding of groundwater flow and environmental engineering principles.

4. How can a numerical methods book benefit professionals in the field of groundwater modeling and environmental engineering?

A numerical methods book can provide professionals with a deeper understanding of the principles and techniques used in groundwater modeling and environmental engineering. It can also serve as a reference guide for solving complex problems and improving the accuracy and efficiency of numerical models.

5. Can a numerical methods book be used for self-study or is it best suited for classroom use?

A numerical methods book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It may include exercises, examples, and case studies that make it suitable for self-study. However, it can also be used as a textbook for courses related to groundwater modeling and environmental engineering.