Should Marijuana use be a CRIME?

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    crime
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of legalizing marijuana and the hypocrisy of current laws and actions. The speakers argue that legalizing marijuana, regulating its sale and possession, and treating it like other potentially harmful substances such as alcohol and cigarettes, would remove a criminal element from society and allow for better access to medicinal benefits. They also discuss the negative consequences of current laws, such as disproportionate punishment for possession and the impact on financial aid for students. The conversation ends with the suggestion that corporate interests may be driving the continued ban on marijuana.
timejim
I say NO but in this context. As long as Cigarettes, beer, wine and whiskey can be bought, used and possessed. Rather than a society being hypocritical I say Legalize Marijuana use and possession as long as it would be purchased through licensed and regulated retail outlets as the above forementioned are. It certainly would remove a large "criminal" element from our society and free many from the "lock up" system. Why doesn't this nation quit being so Hypocritical in its laws and actions. I am tired of those that say, " Don't do as I do, do as I say!"

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicians have been advocating it's legalization for years, it has more medicininal value than cigarettes and alcohol combined. (AIDS cachexia, Multiple Sclerosis, Chemotherapy induced hyperemesis and anorexia etc.)

oh but "it's more harmful that we all thought!"

why are our police forces wasting their time trying to bust small-time pot smokers, who are hurting themselves no more than if they smoked cigs and hurting society less than if they were drinking, when killers, rapists, criminal ceo's, and thieves are walking the streets? I'm too lazy to find the link (check norml.org), but something like 600,000 prisoners were there because of possession charges.

and for you kids out there, if you get busted for any type of possession, don't even bother filling out fafsa/fed aid forms for college money, because they can deny you money based on a drug conviction. i could literally shoot up my high school, and as long as i was released, i could get full government aid. but if a cop finds you on the street with a baggy with residue inside, you get nothing!

additionally, at least in wisconsin, if you get hit for possession, NOT even for driving under the influence, your driver's license can be suspended! many people here have reached the 5 dui mark, and guess what, they can still legally drive!

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

This is one of many areas that I think the government has no business. I see this and any personal choice as just that; personal.

IMO, drug laws only ensure that criminals maintain control of dangerous substances that are then fed to children. I am convinced that a well regulated drug market would reduce use by children [hence everyone else eventually] tremendously. Look at some examples of other popular "drugs". Plastic glue was once a favorite for “sniffers”. By simply moving this product behind the counter at stores, access for most kids was effectively ended. Paint and other household chemicals are often used, and when people get wise to the latest that kids will do, the product can mostly controlled by using simple common sense. For example, you don't sell dangerous products to children under 18. As long as drugs are illegal and desired, and since drugs have always been desired, the allure of big profits will always create a viable and unregulated black market.

I agree that they have it all backward when it comes to cannibis saptiva. What they NEED to do is make it legal, regulate it, and price it accordingly. If you make something legal but expensive, it looses it's appeal. Anyone in Amsterdam can attest to how legalization has a positive affect. But I fear that big coporate interests drive the ban more than anything else. Chemical and drug companies would stand to loose from legalization.

What are the potential health effects of marijuana use?

The potential health effects of marijuana use vary depending on the individual and frequency of use. Some potential short-term effects include altered senses, changes in mood, impaired memory and coordination, and increased heart rate. Long-term effects may include respiratory issues, decreased cognitive function, and potential addiction. However, research on the long-term effects of marijuana use is still ongoing and inconclusive.

Is marijuana use linked to criminal behavior?

There is no clear consensus on whether marijuana use is directly linked to criminal behavior. Some studies have shown a correlation between marijuana use and an increased likelihood of engaging in criminal activities, while others have found no significant connection. Other factors such as socioeconomic status and access to opportunities may also play a role in criminal behavior.

What are the potential benefits of legalizing marijuana?

Some potential benefits of legalizing marijuana include generating tax revenue, reducing the burden on the criminal justice system, and creating jobs in the legal marijuana industry. Additionally, legalizing marijuana may also provide access to safer and regulated products for individuals who use marijuana for medical purposes.

What are the arguments against making marijuana use a crime?

Arguments against making marijuana use a crime include the potential negative impacts of criminalization, such as disproportionately affecting marginalized communities and perpetuating the illegal drug market. Some also argue that marijuana use is a personal choice and should not be criminalized if it does not harm others.

What are the potential risks of legalizing marijuana?

Some potential risks of legalizing marijuana include increased access and potential normalization, leading to more frequent and problematic use. There is also concern about the lack of regulation in the industry, potentially leading to unsafe products. Additionally, legalizing marijuana may also send mixed messages about drug use and impact public health and safety.